Chicken can’t walk or stand

hollynicholson75

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2022
Young pullet about 16 weeks old can’t walk or stand, tail bone feels loose like it could be broken. I thought maybe she was dehydrated. Her crop seemed empty. I brought her in and put her in a sling She is eating and drinking. Because her tail seems loose, I’m wondering if she might have a broken back. She is an old English bantam.

How is she doing now? Her tail might be fine, but for safe checking, check her back for any swelling. Tightly, but gently, run two to three fingers down her spine by having your fingers touching it on all sides that you can. You are feeling for any signs that might be a broken bone. As you're doing this, watch the hen reaction for any signs of pain or agony. Do the same to another pullet of her same age for comparison.

@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, @aart

Young pullet about 16 weeks old can’t walk or stand, tail bone feels loose like it could be broken. I thought maybe she was dehydrated. Her crop seemed empty. I brought her in and put her in a sling She is eating and drinking. Because her tail seems loose, I’m wondering if she might have a broken back. She is an old English bantam.
I'm not understanding what you mean when you say her tail bone feels "loose"?

Can you get photos of what you are talking about or a video? Upload video to Youtube and provide a link.

What do you feed your pullets, including treats?

Could she have fallen, been injured somehow?
Marek's disease comes to mind when a young bird is suddenly unable to walk or stand.
But if you feel she has a broken back, seeking vet care to have an X-Ray would be the best course of action - this will let you know for sure and how to move forward.

Keep her drinking and eating her chick starter. I'd introduce 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily as well.

What appears to be "loose"?
Birds-%E2%80%93-Skeletal-System-2.jpg

Photo Ref

Marek’s disease was something else I thought it might be. We decided to cull her this morning. She didn’t show improvement after giving water, electrolytes, feed, and vitamins. We don’t have any vet’s locally who treat chickens without having to drive a long way and the cost isn’t feasible. I had just thought if dehydration was the case that she might have improved.

Marek’s disease was something else I thought it might be. We decided to cull her this morning. She didn’t show improvement after giving water, electrolytes, feed, and vitamins. We don’t have any vet’s locally who treat chickens without having to drive a long way and the cost isn’t feasible. I had just thought if dehydration was the case that she might have improved.
I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.

Never an easy decision to make:hugs

Back
Top Bottom