Chicken coop entrance ramp

Onecrazywriter

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
This may have been asked before, but I didn't see it. What is a good angle to set the ramp for my chickens to get into the henhouse?

The henhouse will be 6'x4' and it will be located in a 10x10 run.

Well, there's room for the house to be 3 feet up (almost waist height for easier cleaning and space for the feeder to go under the house to keep the feed dry) it would be very close with this formula.

Can or would the chickens hop up 3-4 inches if I anchor the ramp below the threshold? Can I put sandpaper on the ramp under the cleats to file their nails and add traction in ice storms?

This is rhe first time I've built a henhouse that's not ground level, so your suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I gave you proportions, not hard and fast measurements. If your coop is up 4', then the horizontal distance would be 4 x 4/3 or 5-4". The length of the ramp would be 5 x 4/3 or 6'-8". It does require you to do some math with proportions. I could have been clearer. If you tell me what height the coop floor will be I can give you the measurements.

You do not need to use sandpaper. By cleats I mean something like 1" x 1" sticks of wood fastened across the ramp for their toes to grasp.

I don't know what breeds you will have. Some breeds like Silkies can't fly or some have other issues. Mine not only can hop quite well they have no problems flying up to 3' or 4' high nests or to roosts 5 feet high and back down. Mine are full sized fowl, not bantams, and can pretty much step up a foot without hopping. You can position the top of your ramp a little below the bottom of you pop door. You can put the bottom of your ramp up on a cinder block.

People really like their ramps and can be particular about them. Sometimes they are necessary. @aart has some good photos of the ramps you are looking for. I'll show you a photo of mine. This is to my grow-out coop, which is maybe 3' off the ground. I put chicks as young as 5 weeks in it. If they want to they can fly up to and down from the opening and many do. But some do like using this ramp. Let's just say I'm more laid back about a lot of this stuff than many others.
Ladder.JPG

In this one I was using a 2" x 2" instead of a tree limb, but this shows the entrance to my grow-out coop. I don't know if it puts it into perspective or not.
Tunnel.JPG

Can or would the chickens hop up 3-4 inches if I anchor the ramp below the threshold? Can I put sandpaper on the ramp under the cleats to file their nails and add traction in ice storms?
I'd nix the sand paper. Cleats 1/2" high and 4" spacing work well.
If you click on this link it will take you to my coop page,
showing how I protected the ramp and pop door from snow and ice.
Easy hop. Adults can easily hop/fly up a couple feet.
Bottom of ramp here is on a 16" tall block, they often jump half way up ramp.
The little 'porch' at top of ramp is about 8" below bottom of pop door.

Last edited:
I gave you proportions, not hard and fast measurements. If your coop is up 4', then the horizontal distance would be 4 x 4/3 or 5-4". The length of the ramp would be 5 x 4/3 or 6'-8". It does require you to do some math with proportions. I could have been clearer. If you tell me what height the coop floor will be I can give you the measurements.

You do not need to use sandpaper. By cleats I mean something like 1" x 1" sticks of wood fastened across the ramp for their toes to grasp.

I don't know what breeds you will have. Some breeds like Silkies can't fly or some have other issues. Mine not only can hop quite well they have no problems flying up to 3' or 4' high nests or to roosts 5 feet high and back down. Mine are full sized fowl, not bantams, and can pretty much step up a foot without hopping. You can position the top of your ramp a little below the bottom of you pop door. You can put the bottom of your ramp up on a cinder block.

People really like their ramps and can be particular about them. Sometimes they are necessary. @aart has some good photos of the ramps you are looking for. I'll show you a photo of mine. This is to my grow-out coop, which is maybe 3' off the ground. I put chicks as young as 5 weeks in it. If they want to they can fly up to and down from the opening and many do. But some do like using this ramp. Let's just say I'm more laid back about a lot of this stuff than many others.
View attachment 2088436

In this one I was using a 2" x 2" instead of a tree limb, but this shows the entrance to my grow-out coop. I don't know if it puts it into perspective or not.
View attachment 2088448
Thanks for clarification. I extrapolated the formula from your first reply, but it's good to have the formula handy just in case.

I wanted raise the house 3 feet, which would make for a long ramp unless I make them hop a little, but put the bottom off the house at waist height for ergonomic comfort while I clean it and clean under it. It also gives the chickens plenty of room to play underneath and roost on the support bars between the legs. But my dad thinks that is a bit tall and top heavy. I may go for 30 inches with the pop door opening 2" above that. I always put the pop door within the main access point. So the whole side of the house opens up for access to clean and the hens door is an opening in the bottom. There's always a lip, I was trying to decide if the ramp should aim for the bottom of the house or the door.

So the original plan would make the easy 3 feet high, four feet out and the total length 5 feet if the ramp goes from ground to door. If I make it 30 inches, it would be equally easy to figure, but it took ne too short for them to roost on the support beams between the legs. I plan on hooking the ramp on so I can move it out of the way when I'm cleaning in and around the house.

We built a people deck to access our elevated coop, which is tall enough inside for a person to walk around. The deck is tall enough for a wheelbarrow to get underneath for cleaning purposes. The deck is approx 6’ long with 4 steps on the far end. All chickens are good with the steps, and love to perch on the railing which goes the length of the deck (on the back side) and down along the steps.

Back
Top Bottom