Chicken has white tube coming from her vent and is acting weak, advice please

Chickie6

Chirping
May 12, 2019
My hen Quack laid her egg sometime this morning. About 5pm I noticed she was not with the other chickens and was in the coop. I took her put, she seemed okay. I noticed an hour later she was missing again and found her in the coop again. I watched her and she had some semi runny poop and drank water. She didnt seem interested in food. I got a helper and started checking her over. There was a white tube hanging out her rear and upon pulling gently at it a ton of white liquid and more tube came out. She is droopy and wobbly with some panting. It is a chilly day here. I am not sure what else if anything I should do for her. She is my favorite hen. I seem to be having issues with softer shells. They get 1/2 cup of crushed oyster shells daily but I dont think they are eating them like they should.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. Much appreciated!

My hen Quack laid her egg sometime this morning. About 5pm I noticed she was not with the other chickens and was in the coop. I took her put, she seemed okay. I noticed an hour later she was missing again and found her in the coop again. I watched her and she had some semi runny poop and drank water. She didnt seem interested in food. I got a helper and started checking her over. There was a white tube hanging out her rear and upon pulling gently at it a ton of white liquid and more tube came out. She is droopy and wobbly with some panting. It is a chilly day here. I am not sure what else if anything I should do for her. She is my favorite hen. I seem to be having issues with softer shells. They get 1/2 cup of crushed oyster shells daily but I dont think they are eating them like they should.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. Much appreciated!
This might help? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-hanging-from-hens-vent.1341107/post-21981528

That was pretty much how it looked. Later there was a soft collapsed egg and broken yolks. I'm hoping it's all cleared. Best advice for a routine calcium diet? They do not seem to eat the oyster shells well.
You could give her calcium tablets like @azygous recommends. As far as diet guess you could try crushing up eggshells and cooking them into some scrambled eggs for her. I hope this is just a one off! Good luck!

That was pretty much how it looked. Later there was a soft collapsed egg and broken yolks. I'm hoping it's all cleared. Best advice for a routine calcium diet? They do not seem to eat the oyster shells well.
I would search this forum and see if anyone has suggestions. I have ducks not chickens so I am not sure. I will see if I can find another post and link if I do that answers your questions. Best of luck!

Collapsed eggs inside a hen are crisis events. If any of it remains, infection can take hold since yolk is a bacteria growing medium.

When this happens to a hen in my flock, and it does from time to time, I give a calcium tablet each day along with an oral antibiotic to counter any infection that might be taking hold. The calcium promotes good contractions to expel the egg remains, and you will know they are all cleared out when your hen rebounds to normalcy. You can stop the calcium at that point, but the antibiotic should be continued for ten days.

Some don't want to bother with the antibiotic, but I am not willing to risk infection when it's my hen. There's a much better chance she will lay again and have a long normal life if you safeguard against a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom