Chicken nipples, cups and FROZEN pvc pipes - HELP!

kkidsmom

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2013
East Texas
I can't believe I am the first person to experience this problem. So I am seeking to glean from the experience of others. How do you keep pvc pipes from freezing and bursting when using a nipple, or cup watering system?

Can the nipples be inserted into another type of pipe that won't freeze? Can a larger diameter pipe be used? Can pipe heat wrap be safely used?

My chickens already love to eat or at least destroy the foam pipe insulation even when it was completely wrapped with duct tape - though it did slow them down.

I love this system, when it is working. It is so much more readily available to the chickens and cleaner also.

For the winter drain the system and use a 5 gallon bucket with horrizontal nipples and a stock tank heater, guarantee that it won't freeze. My vertical nipples froze solid saw the horizontal ones and decided to try them, best thing ever.

For the winter drain the system and use a 5 gallon bucket with horrizontal nipples and a stock tank heater, guarantee that it won't freeze. My vertical nipples froze solid saw the horizontal ones and decided to try them, best thing ever.
I was going to say the same thing.

Please look in my signature line on how to make one of these for only $20 bucks.

Used mine all winter in Michigan with lows -15 at night and highs no more than 20 at best. Worked PERFECTLY all winter in my NON-heated coop!

I plan to use the same system (without the heater) for the summer too!

I was going to say the same thing.

Please look in my signature line on how to make one of these for only $20 bucks.

Used mine all winter in Michigan with lows -15 at night and highs no more than 20 at best. Worked PERFECTLY all winter in my NON-heated coop!

I plan to use the same system (without the heater) for the summer too!

Where is your signature?

I can see it now that I'm on my pc, but for the life of me couldn't see a signature on my tablet.

Can the heater rest on the bottom of the bucket?

Basically the same set up, when you buy a stock tank heater they say if they are safe for plastic, mine is a 250 watt heater.

Back
Top Bottom