TheCozyCoop

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hello everyone! My name is Michelle and I live in central IL with my husband, our three boys, an English Mastiff, and 34 chickens. We purchased an old farmhouse in January 2020 where I discovered an old 8x10 garden shed that was filled to the brim with junk. After convincing my husband, I cleaned out the shed and he got to work on transforming the shed into a coop and building a brooder box. Then in late March/early April we brought home 15 chicks. (Barred’s, Easter Egger’s, Buff’s, Cinnamon Queen’s, and 1 RIR who wound up being our only roo) I thought the whole “chicken math” thing was a joke but one year later I have 19 chickens outside and 15 chicks in the brooder. I have no idea how that even happened but I can’t believe how happy these chickens make me feel. I saw a post on Facebook where someone referred to chickens as a gateway drug and I couldn’t agree more! 😂 You know you have a problem with you bring home a couple extra chicks to sneak into the brooder box without your spouse noticing. Now we are building a larger coop and getting ready to start a sole proprietorship to sell eggs and chicks. Looking forward to participating in discussions and learning more about these amazing animals!

Back
Top Bottom