Chicken Pinned

GeorgiaWashingChick

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
Yesterday our chicken got out of the coop (hoodini style). My golden doodle (gentle giant) pinned our Crested Polish down and began plucking her feathers. She has never attacked the chickens but she must think they are play toys, we had to give away our first flock because she wouldn't stop "gently retrieving them sending them into shock. She no longer has access to even getting near the coop. We take her out the front door on leash to use the bathroom.

ANYHOW! My chicken has no wounds other than plucked feathers but cannot stand up. Both legs can move and have strength. She just can't find balance. Does this mean a spinal issue : ( Or could this be from shock? I also noticed this morning her tail is pointed toward the side she keeps falling to.

I have helped a hen heal a SEVERE prolapsed vent and have treated many other conditions such as bumble foot and splayed legs but this one has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated!

Being a polish the poor thing could have head trauma. How are treating her so far?

Currently she is in my garage in a tub with fresh bedding resting. She pooped yesterday so very thankful to see that is working. She ate a little this morning for me and drank some last night. I am just letting her rest, checking on her and showing attention several times a day. I have separated her from the flock but I had one of my friends say that I need to get her back in the flock with a protected cage so she doesn't get depressed. I am worried about flies with her bum though since she is sitting still for now.

Going to pick up vitamins today to add to her water.

Currently she is in my garage in a tub with fresh bedding resting. She pooped yesterday so very thankful to see that is working. She ate a little this morning for me and drank some last night. I am just letting her rest, checking on her and showing attention several times a day. I have separated her from the flock but I had one of my friends say that I need to get her back in the flock with a protected cage so she doesn't get depressed. I am worried about flies with her bum though since she is sitting still for now.

Going to pick up vitamins today to add to her water.
When my hen was hurt, I gave her a product called Rooster Booster. That realkt seemed to help her get strength back.
Maybe your girl got twisted under the dog and she's nursing some nerve damage to her spine or neck. If she's walking & pooping, she may just need a period to rehab. I'd give her a few hours out to stretch & work out the kinks, but would bring her back to the tub to rest where you can keep an eye on her for now. They naked bum will be her "battle scar", until she molts

image.jpg
She is eating MUCH better, drinking water, and pooping! She even took 2 steps today! Her tail seems to be straightening back! Also she is chirping so much right now in the grass. She is so happy.

Back
Top Bottom