Chickens in the garage! Will it work and any tips on building it?

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
Can i build a pen or coop inside of my garage?

I have a garage filled with stuff right now but soon it will all almost be gone. So, i was thinking i could put a coop in there so i wouldn't have to insulate it or put a roof up. (The coop not the garage)

So will this work? Should i build a coop or can i just make a pen with some nesting boxes and roosts?

Also, i have a window that i could run a ladder through and build a chicken run in the surrounding area. The problem is that in between the floor and the window is an old work bench so i'll also need some advice on how to get them over the workbench and through the window. Should i try and design a multi-level coop or just make the workbench larger?

Is the garage attached to our house or is it detached? Chickens create a lot of dust and the smell can be very hard to manage. Feathers fly everywhere during a molt. If it is detached, it can work. If it is attached, it will take a lot of work up front and daily management and you still have a good chance of not being happy with the results. The more chickens you have, the less likely you would be happy with the results. I'd explore detached options and use a detached garage for a very few chickens as a last desperate option.

If I were to try it, I would build a dust-proof sealed to stop odors room in the garage with the only access for chickens or humans from the outside. All ventilation would be to the outside. No interior doors, windows, openings to nest boxes, anything.

I saved a significant amount of money using the corner and existing walls of my barn. Only needing to build the 3rd and 4th wall. Yes ,they are dusty but if that is minor problem to you then I wouldn't worry about that!

I am imagining a multi level coop...that would be cool solution, but it is hard to figure out without seeing the actual problem area.
Good luck! And post some pictures when you're done!

If you have the space on your property, I think you would be much happier buying a used mini-barn and converting that to a full-time chicken coop. You can usually get them for a couple hundred dollars and the modification to coop is pretty simple.

As many folks have suggested, a concrete slab floor is also a really good idea, under the mini-barn, to control vermin.

As mentioned before detached or attached will have a bearing on your final plans. I see no need to build 'a coop' if they are in a garage out of nasty weather. Just some secluded nest boxes (for some reason mine like the cat carriers.
idunno.gif
but that is fine with me. Easy to clean! Just don't spend a lot of $$ building one because they will lay in the most unlikely places. I do have another hen that lays in my ducks nest. Anyway, some roosting spots and you are good to go. Don't forget they can make a mess with the feed.

I have read on several individuals with coops in their garages. I thought an interesting idea. One thing did escape me until reading, "Cold climate coop design... by kiwiegg", DUST! If the coop is in your garage there is no way to avoid DUST! completely. Just for thought...

If I were to build a coop in an attached garage, my plan would be to make the access from outside. Use the door to the yard as the coop door. Perhaps, I would have reach-in nestboxes, but that is it. Alot of people would think that makes no sense. "Wouldn't it make more sense to walk from a dry, warm garage into the coop? You will need to go inside the coop to check on & feed the birds..." As others have pointed out, chickens are dusty, poopy and smelly. The litter needs to be shoveled out of the coop. The litter & poo sticks to your shoes. My coop is several yards from our enclosed porch. We have a boot scraper. YET, I often sweep up clumps of shavings & poo. You do not want this in your kitchen or hall.

My opinion is that if you create a very seperate coop within your garage, you'll be happiest.

I have a garage coop, All we did was furninsh one wall that is 12 ft long the enclosure is a little over 5 ft wide and the wall doesn't go all the way to the ceiling (big mistake) Now they use the ledge for that wall as a roost and pooped all down the front of it. Dust is definately an issue. For me I let mine roam free everyday so they track up the garage floor with poo and it needs to be hosed off everyday. Our garage is attatched to the house but the smell isn't bad at all because i clean it out on a weekly basis. There are a few different roosts in there and it houses 28 bantams. It was a last minute frantic plan that obviously wasn't planned out good enough, the walls need to be mudded, taped, and painted or just tack up linolium to make for easy cleaning. The old coop is used for broodies or ones I need to quarentine, it is not the best structure and had mold issues which was the reason for moving them into the garage. The mold has since been taken care of but that coop is only 4 by 6 and not enough room to house that many chickens.

10663_img_5701.jpg

The air duct is covered with plastic and insolated that runs central air into the other garage stall but will be rerouted this winter to provide heat to the garage coop because the other stall has a huge garage heater. I just put together that enclosure on top of the desk for new introductions it currently houses 3 young silkie chicks who recently came out of quarentine, that box is 2 by 4.

Here is where I have a problem, they roost on the wall and wayyyyy up high but seem to love it. Wel will be adding a roof over the winter to keep the heat in and keep them from roosting up there.
10663_img_5702.jpg

Last edited:
I have two friends with garage coops. In both their cases the garage's primary function is to house chickens; in one case it was built for that purpose, in the other, it was a deciding factor in purchasing the home.

As others have said, dust is an issue. An appropriate level of humidity helps control dust, so a humidifier is something you may want to add, depending on where you live. Also strong exhaust fans that vent to the outside. Be particular as to the type of bedding you use--some types are dustier than others.

Back
Top Bottom