Chicken's Poop is Clear and Watery

ChattyChickens4Life

OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder)
Oct 1, 2017
Hi all! Quick question- I have a 2.5 month old EE who is eating, drinking, foraging, scratching, dust bathing, etc. Everything seems just fine except for the fact that her poop (if you can even call it that) is almost like water. It's clear, runny, and just gets absorbed into the sand in our run. Otherwise, she seems fine! Bright eyes, red comb, eating and drinking- Check, check, and double check! Any thoughts? I would really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Last edited:
How hot is it? What things is she consuming a lot of?

Hot weather makes chickens drink a lot of water, and that can cause watery poop. Things high in water content also make for watery poop. And last of all, there is the occasional individual whose default poop consistency is watery.

I have a very healthy six-year old Speckled Sussex hen who has had "splorty" wet, watery poop since I brought her home from the feed store at three days old. She's never been sick a day in her life, but for her, a solid poop is a very rare occurrence.

But on the chance this is a sign of an infection, watch her poop. If there appear to be green chunks in a very watery, whitish liquid, it means she's sick. Also monitor her crop. Check it when she goes to roost. Is it full, which means her appetite is normal, or does it feel empty? which means she doesn't feel like eating. It shouldn't be full of hard, rocky lumps. Check again first thing in the morning. If it's still full, especially if it's squishy and liquid-feeling, she may have crop issues causing the watery poop.

Hot weather makes chickens drink a lot of water, and that can cause watery poop. Things high in water content also make for watery poop. And last of all, there is the occasional individual whose default poop consistency is watery.

I have a very healthy six-year old Speckled Sussex hen who has had "splorty" wet, watery poop since I brought her home from the feed store at three days old. She's never been sick a day in her life, but for her, a solid poop is a very rare occurrence.

But on the chance this is a sign of an infection, watch her poop. If there appear to be green chunks in a very watery, whitish liquid, it means she's sick. Also monitor her crop. Check it when she goes to roost. Is it full, which means her appetite is normal, or does it feel empty? which means she doesn't feel like eating. It shouldn't be full of hard, rocky lumps. Check again first thing in the morning. If it's still full, especially if it's squishy and liquid-feeling, she may have crop issues causing the watery poop.
Currently, our temperature is fluctuating between mid 80s and low 70s. She is on medicated chick starter feed, and isn't given things high in water content. We haven't seen anything in the poop, so hopefully it's a situation similar to your Sussex. I will check her crop, and hopefully all is well. Thanks!

Any update? My girls are having the same exact issue and I thought it might be the hot weather we had last week. However, it's been nice for the last few days and I still scoop up little wet spots of sand once in a while.

View attachment 1167574 Hello, I just now found a poop that's watery and has little seeds in it (from the scratch I been feeding them every so offen) could this be BECUASE she's just drinking and eating scratch? They all are barred rock chickens but one hen is a black sexlink, they don't show signs of being sick, I just wanted to make sure nothing could be going on, we have had some hot weather but lately it's cool. Could something else be going on? They all seem fine, and I will take a picture just to be sure. Thanks!

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Teetee poop Watery occasionally in day especially in morning when they wake up and evening I never understood this

It's hot here but they not drinking so much water but he did occasionally watery clear poop not regularly is it ok ?

Teetee poop Watery occasionally in day especially in morning when they wake up and evening I never understood this

It's hot here but they not drinking so much water but he did occasionally watery clear poop not regularly is it ok ?
My response is, I don't know. Recently I had a hen with a collapsed soft egg inside her. She was running white tinged watery urates out of her cloaca for a week until all the egg matter was expelled.

During this time, she was dripping continually, and when she pooped, curiously, the poops were solid but without the white urates in them. Once the hen cleared all of the egg material out, her poops reverted to normal and the watery urates stopped all together.

For a chicken to have watery urates without noticeably being in a health crisis, is a perplexing question. I don't know, and don't really have any good guesses or than perhaps it's a response to some foreign matter in the digestive tract, and watery urates is one way to flush it out.

My response is, I don't know. Recently I had a hen with a collapsed soft egg inside her. She was running white tinged watery urates out of her cloaca for a week until all the egg matter was expelled.

During this time, she was dripping continually, and when she pooped, curiously, the poops were solid but without the white urates in them. Once the hen cleared all of the egg material out, her poops reverted to normal and the watery urates stopped all together.

For a chicken to have watery urates without noticeably being in a health crisis, is a perplexing question. I don't know, and don't really have any good guesses or than perhaps it's a response to some foreign matter in the digestive tract, and watery urates is one way to flush it out.

Ohh teetee is a rooster

Rooster or hen, I was just relaying my recent experience with watery urates. A rooster can have it just as well as a hen if my theory of a foreign bit of material or irritant in the digestive track is being flushed out by the chicken's body is plausible.

Back
Top Bottom