Chicks Trying out the Hamster Wheel

ponygal

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
After getting the idea from a post in here, I thought I would see how our 10 day old Ameraucana chicks would like having a hamster wheel to play on. They loved it! Here's a cute video (I think this should work). We brought it outside on the lawn today and even though they were free to run around on the grass they kept jumping up on the wheel.

Last edited:
that's hilarious! I love how one would get one then the wheel would be jumped on by another and they would go wizzing off

Okay, that was an overload of cuteness! I shouldn't be surprised that they'd enjoy that - mine are 15 weeks old now and love the roost swing in their run. Funny little critters, ain't they? By the looks of the fun yours were having, maybe hamster wheels should be standard brooder equipment - the entertainment and exercise the chicks would get would be so healthy for them!

A roost swing?! Ooooh, maybe I'll rig something up in the chicken tractor that the older chicks are in! They love running up and down the ramp to the loft and jumping off the roost in there. I think they'd love a swing!

That was my favourite part too (when one would be inside and one would jump on top. I've only been putting it in there with them when I'm around to keep an eye on them..they get a bit crazy with it, lol

That's adorable! I have to second the roost swing. I put one in our brooder annex (dog crate added to make it larger while we wait for the weather to allow us to finish the coop and run). The chicks LOVE it and fight over who gets to be on it. Well, not fight as in hurt each other, but jumping up and pushing the other off. :D

Back
Top Bottom