City of Rose Hill, KS - Ordinance Change - Advice Needed

MarximusMG

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Colorado
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, but I've been on the site for a few weeks. I recently moved to the small town of Rose Hill, KS, and am interested in keeping hens. I'd like to have about 3. I got in contact with the city hall today to find out more information regarding relevant ordinances. Unfortunately, I was informed that chickens are not currently permitted in town. I was offered the opportunity to request that the city council reconsider this at the next council meeting (this coming Monday evening).

I've attached a link to the Animal Control and Regulation Ordinance that was provided to me, and would really appreciate any advice from anyone here with regards to how I can effectively make the case for keeping chickens in Rose Hill. For further context (not sure if this is particularly helpful) the city of Wichita allows up to 3 hens with no permit, and up to 12, I believe, with a permit.

Any help is appreciated!

Ordinance: http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=93253910b5e63b2e18dbdf6afdc08866

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from a fellow Kansan, and an invitation to join us over on the Consolidated Kansas thread you can find here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248925/consolidated-kansas/13890#post_9324486

I've just moved from Wichita where I had the permit and had the 12 hens and I share your pain. In looking for a new property to purchase with the idea of being able to increase my flock, one of the places we looked was Rose Hill and I discovered the same thing you did. We did end up purchasing elsewhere, where there were no restrictions.

As for getting the ordinance changed, I would approach them with a copy of Wichita's ordinance along with information to refute many of the most common claims: for example, noise (hens make a bit of noise during their egg-laying time of day but are quiet at night, unlike barking dogs), smell (a well-kept coop should not smell) and so on. Last, if you can get a petition going, the more signatures the better. Specifically, if you have the support of your immediate neighbors saying they welcome you getting chickens, that might also sway them a little.

Good luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice as well! I am planning on doing all of those things, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a petition going in the next few days.

I'm sorry you were swayed away from Rose Hill because of this issue. So far, we love it here, though it would be nice if this ordinance could be adjusted.

Just curious - are there any nearby cities that you know of, other than Wichita, that also allow chickens? I appreciate the advice!

We also looked at Andover and they do not allow them at all! And, in Butler County, outside city limits I believe you need a minimum of 3-acres before you are allowed to keep them. We found this out when we looked at a place just outside of Andover city limits, that was on 1-acre and were dismayed that even there we couldn't keep them. I don't for sure know about Derby. I know that outside of city limits there are no restrictions but I'm not sure about inside.

I presented this issue to the city council this evening and the response seemed to be positive. They let me know that they would look over the information that I had prepared for them and would be in touch. I'm hoping to hear something fairly soon regarding their decision!

Just an update for anyone who is curious - The Council will be voting on this request this coming Monday, August 6. Hoping for a positive outcome!

Great news - the Council voted to approve the request! They will now draft up the details of the ordinance and vote to approve all of the fine print on 8/20. Of course, I will keep everyone here posted.

.. Of course, I will keep everyone here posted.

So much for keeping everyone up to date..

Just FYI

Rose Hill ordinance allows 4 hens, no roosters. It's odd but it throws rabbits into the loop. You can have a total of 4, in any combination, of hens and rabbits. So: 4 hens, no rabbits, 3 hens 1 rabbit, 2 hens 2 rabbits, 1 hen 3 rabbits or 4 rabbits. But no roosters..

Back
Top Bottom