cocidiosis---- treating...

jjaazzy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Davie, Fl
Ok I only hatched one silkie and had to get it some friends. I went to my local breeder and he said some chicks have been coming up with cocid. He said treat it fast if you see symptoms which I would imagine is blood in stool. Yes all chicks were/are on medicated feed but this stuff is still popping up for him here and there.

Right now we have no symptoms but chicks are on day 4
So I called the feed store and he suggested Duramycin -10 said mix it in water till you can't see real well through it.

So I figured I would ask the experts in here. Did he give me the right thing #1 (I asked for the other stuff you guys mentioned and he said this is better) and #2 do you have a formula for mixing....... like a teaspoon to 16 oz or something like that?

PS the chicks look fine now but trying to make things easy for my pet sitter best I can....... It always something when you can't have nothing.

thanks guys!

Duramycin 10 is an anti biotic. There is no known bacterial infection so Wrong advice!!! Indiscriminately administering anti-biotics is a reckless practice that some say will result in resistant super bugs.

Putting a prevention amount of Corid in the water is prevention. You can use a treatment amount as well. Generally, using the 20% Corid (amprollium) powder, the formula is

1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water is about the amount of amprollium in medicated feed.

1 teaspoon per gallon of water is a more aggressive treatment amount for a slight outbreak.

2 teaspoons per gallon is a very, very aggressive treatment for a severe, life threatening outbreak.

Ok I only hatched one silkie and had to get it some friends. I went to my local breeder and he said some chicks have been coming up with cocid. He said treat it fast if you see symptoms which I would imagine is blood in stool. Yes all chicks were/are on medicated feed but this stuff is still popping up for him here and there.

Right now we have no symptoms but chicks are on day 4
So I called the feed store and he suggested Duramycin -10 said mix it in water till you can't see real well through it.

So I figured I would ask the experts in here. Did he give me the right thing #1 (I asked for the other stuff you guys mentioned and he said this is better) and #2 do you have a formula for mixing....... like a teaspoon to 16 oz or something like that?

PS the chicks look fine now but trying to make things easy for my pet sitter best I can....... It always something when you can't have nothing.

thanks guys!
First,there does NOT have to be blood in poop for chicks to have coccidiosis,there are approx 11 strains and only 2 have blood as a symptom.

Medicated feed does not prevent an overload/outbreak of coccidiosis,it is only an insurance policy,but not a guarantee. Medicated feed works by slowly building immunity. Birds are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to. Cocci is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings from bird to bird,but is also spread by wild birds/bringing new birds into flock/yard/your own clothes/shoes/hands/feed utensils/etc. Cocci kills very fast and is the leading cause of death among chicks,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat.

To treat coccidiosis you need a coccidiostat such as Corid(amprolium). Duramycin will not help. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,parasite needs thiamine to survive/reproduce,Corid(amprolium)works by blocking thiamine in the body stopping reproduction and bringing parasite under control.

Corid is found in the cattle section and will say for cattle,but is perfectly fine for chicks/older birds. The dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, the dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water is the only source of drinking water.

Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may NOT contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking. If you see any symptom ,even if you are not sure,medicate immediately. Treating for cocci w amprolium will not harm chicks,but not treating probably will result in deaths.

Last edited:
Freds and 10 Chicks.......... I should have known. ugggggh Every time I have gotten the feed store involved in anything they have really stuck it to me one way or another. Yet again, I asked for the other products and he steered me and my DH to this one. OH this makes me so mad.... as I said I am trying to put things in order before I go out of town and now I am stuck.......... I will try and deal with this in the morning but we really have no time for it.
Thank you both so much... I knew you all would help. So you think I should get either of these products and just treat everyone? I have more silkies but they are in different pens and although I am very careful to wash hands when I handle the chicks I cant be sure of what I do when I am finished with them. Thank you both so much, but just so I am understanding you both...
Get either medication that I can, and mix in water and give only that water for 5 days? Is it important to give vitamins when 5 days is up? Can it wait a day or two? I am going to be gone for 7 days so want to make things easy for sitter.
I can't thank you both enough........ can you tell I am freaking out?

Corid in the water, shaken well in gallon jug, then transferred to their waterer. Works well. It is a benign product in that is it merely a thiamine blocker. It won't have any particularly negative effect on the other birds. Yes, I treat everyone.

Sorry the feed store steered you wrong, but these employes at feed stores are merely folks with retail jobs and not knowledgeable about everything. We hear reports of errant advice from feed store employees here everyday.

Well, I am in trouble, all the feed stores open at noon tomorrow and i will be gone by then. What makes me mad was i asked for a product and told him what it was for thinking he would offer it in a smaller quantity. I should have taken time out and come here to verify what he said but we have been so busy getting ready....ugggh i am going to leave the sitter some money and if she see's things failing i will ask her to go. What a mess....i. just. Have to have faith everything will be ok its in Gods hands now.

Back
Top Bottom