color Genetics Del x Rhodebar

BuckleberryFern

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Blairstown NJ
So we lost our rhodebar roo so our girls have been roaming with our del flock..i set a batch of turkey eggs and needed to fill the space...so set some of the eggs from our chickens...

Del Roo over Greenfire line Rhrodebar Hen

this is sme of what hatched.

a few solid yellows I'm assuming are pure dels.

then whats left are 1/2 light down with chipmonk stripes and light down with doft dove grey...
would be kinda awesome if I inadvertedy created some kind of cool sex link lol but I don't think that's right since both breeds are bared correct?

any ideas what colors these babies will be when mature?

So we lost our rhodebar roo so our girls have been roaming with our del flock..i set a batch of turkey eggs and needed to fill the space...so set some of the eggs from our chickens...

Del Roo over Greenfire line Rhrodebar Hen

this is sme of what hatched.

a few solid yellows I'm assuming are pure dels.

then whats left are 1/2 light down with chipmonk stripes and light down with doft dove grey...
would be kinda awesome if I inadvertedy created some kind of cool sex link lol but I don't think that's right since both breeds are bared correct?

any ideas what colors these babies will be when mature?

The offspring will be barred. They (males) will look like delaware but they will have some red in their feathers, The females will be like delawares also. In males the red will show in the pyle region and in the females it usually shows up on the back but can be in other areas. See picture below. The amount of red can vary from very little to quite a bit. The chipmunk chick is most likely a wild type/brown heterozygous genotype and is not pure for the columbian gene.

Last edited:
thank you :)

they are cute and BIG/strong

I'm good n rabbit genetics but chicken genetics still throw me off, i know the del is Columbian with double barring, but rhodebar....

thank you :)

they are cute and BIG/strong

I'm good n rabbit genetics but chicken genetics still throw me off, i know the del is Columbian with double barring, but rhodebar....
I forgot to answer the sex linked question. To produce a silver/gold sex link the female must be silver as in the delaware and the male gold as in the rhodebar. To produce a black sex link the female is black and barred while the male is usually a black tailed red.

The rhodebar is also columbian and carries a gene called mahogany. The rhode bar carries the gold allele while the delaware carries the silver allele. Allele is another name for a gene.

Back
Top Bottom