Compost Bin: What goes on bottom to keep out critters??

winniegirl

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just got my first compost bin, the Miracle Gro brand from Home Depot--nothing fancy but cheapest one I could find. So it doesn't
have a bottom as most don't, so I've read. I'll be placing it near our wood line so it can get sun most of the day.

Now, how do I keep out moles and such? we have LOTS of them critters!! Should I put a piece of hardware cloth on the bottom? Should I attach it somehow or just leave it loose? Not sure what to do, but I'm thinking I need to do something cause of the Mole/Vole Village back there!!

Thanks so much for any advice!! Never had a compost bin before and I'm anxious to get started. I'll even clean out the coop tomorrow--pretty exciting huh??
smile.png

Moles do not normally infest compost piles (they tunnel thru lawns eating the grubs that are eating your grass roots). Rats yes; if you have a local rat problem, then 1/4" or 1/2" hardwarecloth would be a good idea. Mice and voles may go in but do not usually cause any *problem*.

Most people (without rats) don't screen the bottom of the composter or compost pile at all, and it works fine. But, personal choice.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We have voles in our yard but have never had a problem with them in our large compost bin (just a pile of leaves, grass clippings, etc. - nothing store-bought - that we've been adding kitchen scraps and more leaves, etc. to over the years). Keeping the bottom open allows the composting worms to get in, which really speeds up and improves the composting of the pile. The only thing we did put under this pile when we moved it (the old spot is now a very productive potato patch) was some canvas to keep from "losing" all our compost into the ground as it deteriorates. The pile is still full of worms and they are reproducing steadily.

Hope this helps!
smile.png

Agreed. If you don't have rats, don't worry about it. My dog is the only thing I really struggle to keep out of my compost pile.
smile.png

I agree with PP...you don't need anything on the bottom. In fact, you want the compost to have contact with the dirt underneath so that all the good soil microorganisms have access to the stuff in your pile.

I had an open bottom compost thingamajig. I had voles in it once. Other than that, the only critters that liked it were the bears. It got knocked over more than once.
27119_dscf0010.jpg

Now, I have the best kind of composter. FREE!

A woman in town had willed her old house on several acres to the city after she died. The property was one of my task assignments at work (we have to check it daily to ensure that there's no vandalism, vagrants, etc.). On one of my daily checks, the DPW was there cleaning up. The supervisor knows I garden. He asked me if I wanted the very large barrel composter. on a stand, with a handle for turning! Did I?! I took the pickup to work the next day and loaded that bad boy up!

I looked it up in one of my gardening supply magazines .... $300-!!!

Equus- I had to laugh at your picture of your composter. I have the same one, and I also had to wrap duct tape around the whole thing to hold it together!
smile.png

Now, I have the best kind of composter. FREE!

A woman in town had willed her old house on several acres to the city after she died. The property was one of my task assignments at work (we have to check it daily to ensure that there's no vandalism, vagrants, etc.). On one of my daily checks, the DPW was there cleaning up. The supervisor knows I garden. He asked me if I wanted the very large barrel composter. on a stand, with a handle for turning! Did I?! I took the pickup to work the next day and loaded that bad boy up!

I looked it up in one of my gardening supply magazines .... $300-!!!

Score!!​

Back
Top Bottom