Concerning selling pre-butchered meat birds

Naamahbengals

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2013
So, obviously, you don't need to have a food licence or etc for selling chickens, even if the buyer intends to eat that bird. (Right?) But what about when they ask you to kill/clean the bird for them? Does it switch from 'farm animal' to 'food' the second you kill it? I'd like to sell some of my birds (project birds that aren't the pick keepers) through CL, word of mouth, etc - but I know most people don't want to kill their own dinner. So I'd be able to sell more / at a better price if I did the work... but I am worried about violating fda rules or etc. I'm a hobby breeder so I won't have that many available, not like a meat bird farm, so I don't think I should need to jump through the Food Licence hoops or fda or....? But I don't want to be breaking a law, either, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm in San Diego county, if that makes a difference.

For that matter... what about eggs? I didn't even think about that before now, but I see dozens of people on CL selling fresh eggs from their little flocks - and I'm sure they don't have food licences.

I do see the goat milk people saying 'the FDA says I have to say this is not for human consumption', which is what got me thinking about it. Do you need a licence to sell 'farm food' (milk, eggs, butchered meat) on CL or etc? I know that farmers markets require a food licence for you to sell produce... but people who sell there have to have a business licence to do so, so, I guess they'd need one. But what about all of the non-business hobbyists that sell eggs or butchered meat birds? Does saying 'not for humans' exempt you? (But I've never seen that on a poultry listing, just the goat milk.)

Sorry for rambling - I just don't want to be selling eggs and the occasional butchered bird, and suddenly be in trouble with The Big Guys!

I believe each state has their on rules on these things. Your extension office should be able to answer your specific questions. For example, in Indiana, we can sell eggs and butchered birds (up to 1,000) from our own property without regulations. But every state is different.

I believe each state has their on rules on these things. Your extension office should be able to answer your specific questions. For example, in Indiana, we can sell eggs and butchered birds (up to 1,000) from our own property without regulations. But every state is different.
What department would that be under - what should I search to get the right page?

Hmmm....it seems that it's a county extension office that I called. Try county offices first. Your county health department may be able to point you in the right direction, too. Hope that helps! I

So, obviously, you don't need to have a food licence or etc for selling chickens, even if the buyer intends to eat that bird. (Right?) But what about when they ask you to kill/clean the bird for them? Does it switch from 'farm animal' to 'food' the second you kill it? I'd like to sell some of my birds (project birds that aren't the pick keepers) through CL, word of mouth, etc - but I know most people don't want to kill their own dinner. So I'd be able to sell more / at a better price if I did the work... but I am worried about violating fda rules or etc. I'm a hobby breeder so I won't have that many available, not like a meat bird farm, so I don't think I should need to jump through the Food Licence hoops or fda or....? But I don't want to be breaking a law, either, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm in San Diego county, if that makes a difference.

For that matter... what about eggs? I didn't even think about that before now, but I see dozens of people on CL selling fresh eggs from their little flocks - and I'm sure they don't have food licences.

I do see the goat milk people saying 'the FDA says I have to say this is not for human consumption', which is what got me thinking about it. Do you need a licence to sell 'farm food' (milk, eggs, butchered meat) on CL or etc? I know that farmers markets require a food licence for you to sell produce... but people who sell there have to have a business licence to do so, so, I guess they'd need one. But what about all of the non-business hobbyists that sell eggs or butchered meat birds? Does saying 'not for humans' exempt you? (But I've never seen that on a poultry listing, just the goat milk.)

Sorry for rambling - I just don't want to be selling eggs and the occasional butchered bird, and suddenly be in trouble with The Big Guys!
Look at this link regarding poultry for general idea:

http://nebeginningfarmers.org/2012/07/11/1743/

I read it. That's perfect... now if I can find that for SD! I searched the exemption but I came up with no hits for San Diego, just a lot of links to the rooster laws or urban farming (but nothing about selling meat).
Here is information about Marin County, California. It references the California regulations which should be applicable to you in San Diego. I hope this helps.

ucanr.org/sites/Grown_in_Marin/files/83622.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom