Coops in wet, temperate climates? Bedding?

Whatever you think is right...just trying to save you some grief.....:frow
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I just don't understand your comment because I didn't mention the level of security in my coop. Unsure how you drew the conclusion that it is not predator proof. But sincerely, thank you for concern. :frow

Thanks, that's very kind of you. I just don't understand your comment because I didn't mention the level of security in my coop. Unsure how you drew the conclusion that it is not predator proof. But sincerely, thank you for concern. :frow
I "drew the conclusion" when you said the run wasn't completely covered.
Seeya...gone

I "drew the conclusion" when you said the run wasn't completely covered.
Seeya...gone

I meant it wasn't entirely covered like with a roof for rain protection. It is entirely covered with wire. Half of it has a large tarp over the wire to keep it dry, half does not have the tarp. Just a misunderstanding, no need to get upset.

I used to live in Olympia! So as far as the coop/run, if the current bedding is working in the coop and you're satisfied with it, keep using what you're using. I use wood chips in my coop (which goes into the run) but only plan on cleaning out and refilling it twice a year. I scoop out under the roost but that's the extent of regular cleaning for me.

Good to hear that the run isn't getting flooded since that can be a problem with fall and spring rains. I would recommend chunky aged wood chips (since you don't have time to age them I would look into undyed mulch, chunky as possible) as part of the run mix as they provide gaps for water to drain through. What I have right now is mostly wood chips with some remnants of dry grass and garden trimmings from summer, with dry-ish leaves on top - the chips allow rainwater to drain, the leaves provide a relatively drier mat on top for the chickens to walk on. Plus they love digging through all of it.

I literally have leaves spread out on my lawn to dry just so I can bag them and save the for later on in the year, sorted by leaf type. Anything that's too small (i.e. willow leaves) or soggy just gets tossed into the run. I want to get a pretty good layer of stuff built up before winter since I don't add anything through winter.

I used to live in Olympia! So as far as the coop/run, if the current bedding is working in the coop and you're satisfied with it, keep using what you're using. I use wood chips in my coop (which goes into the run) but only plan on cleaning out and refilling it twice a year. I scoop out under the roost but that's the extent of regular cleaning for me.

Good to hear that the run isn't getting flooded since that can be a problem with fall and spring rains. I would recommend chunky aged wood chips (since you don't have time to age them I would look into undyed mulch, chunky as possible) as part of the run mix as they provide gaps for water to drain through. What I have right now is mostly wood chips with some remnants of dry grass and garden trimmings from summer, with dry-ish leaves on top - the chips allow rainwater to drain, the leaves provide a relatively drier mat on top for the chickens to walk on. Plus they love digging through all of it.

I literally have leaves spread out on my lawn to dry just so I can bag them and save the for later on in the year, sorted by leaf type. Anything that's too small (i.e. willow leaves) or soggy just gets tossed into the run. I want to get a pretty good layer of stuff built up before winter since I don't add anything through winter.

Thanks for the tips! I often see people around here offering free wood chips from downed trees, so I'll keep my eye out for good quality and check out undyed mulch at stores too.

Thanks for the tips! I often see people around here offering free wood chips from downed trees, so I'll keep my eye out for good quality and check out undyed mulch at stores too.

Yeah the nice thing around here is wood chips are so plentiful, some tree companies will deliver a truckload for the cost of gas basically. Or neighbors might let you take some of theirs if you're willing to shovel it yourself. I kept one truckload from when I had some trees taken down and it'll probably last me a few years.

Yeah the nice thing around here is wood chips are so plentiful, some tree companies will deliver a truckload for the cost of gas basically. Or neighbors might let you take some of theirs if you're willing to shovel it yourself. I kept one truckload from when I had some trees taken down and it'll probably last me a few years.

Nice! We have a tree that will probably need to come down in a couple years, so we will have a reason to be happy about it, lol!

@animalyodelers I live in Oly, too!

...okay, well, Tumwater. ;)

Usually you just have to work the phone a bit to find an arborist who'll deliver chips free, or keep an eye out for anyone doing work in your neighborhood. They might be happy not to have to make a run all the way back to wherever they were going to dump 'em.

I can't help with other things because I don't actually have chickens yet, but if you want names of a few arborists who might be helpful, you could PM me. :)

I know they need to be aged, so not so useful for you right now. I use the woodchips for sheet mulching my yard, and since I'm extraordinarily slow I always have aged ones in a big ol' pile, but it's not a DRY pile -- now that I'm reading the aspergillus thread I wonder if I should work on that.

I have the same issue with leaves that you do. There are TONS of leaves, but it's not like any of 'em are DRY.

Back
Top Bottom