Coturnix color differences in goldens

HeritageSeekers

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Hello all,

I'm trying to nail down some differences in colors. I'm a bit confused as so many of the same colors are named differently based on geographic location.

What are the differences between Australian Fawn, Australian Redhead, Manchurian Golden, Autumn Amber and Italian Speckled? Several of these look exactly the same to my untrained eye.

If there are differences, can anyone post side by side comparison photos?

Thanks!

Steve

I have a few coturnix quails for fun, and my flock includes regulars, Italian Speckled, and Manchurian Golden. The Manchurian Golden males have a brown head and a golden body without markings. The Italian Speckled are basically a normal colored coturnix quail, just a lighter paler version. Therefore making the males still have all of markings. I have one boy of each type, but not comparison images to show. I prefer the Manchurian Goldens.

DSCN1015.jpg

I found this picture. It is an Italian Speckled on the left and a Manchurian Golden on the right.

Thank you.

I recently purchased a small covy of "Italian Speckled". They're beautiful. However, upon researching colors further I think I have more thank just Italian.

My Italians indeed look to be normal, (high patterning) on a gold ground color with little acreage between patterning. All of them have black either on the head, face or in the back patterning.

I also have solid golden/buff without any patterning at all except a brown/red head and face pattern. Almost hooded so to speak.
Only the males have the red head/throat/hood though and females have black chin straps.

Then... there's yet another that seems to be between the two above however the normal patterning is greatly reduced and there is no black on any of them. Looking very similar to what I see called Autumn Amber.

So confused here. :) I'm going to try to take photos of the separate ones today. I'm on a mission to learn.. Not to mention I've now been bitten by the bug and MUST obtain more colors. HA

That is nice!

So it sounds like you have Italian Speckled and Manchurian Golden for sure. Pictures would be most helpful.

Manchurian Gold are the red to chocolate head colored with pure golden bodies on males the hens may have a few body spots with a less vibrant colored head. Italian Speckled gold have black checrons on a gold bird ant Autumn Amber will have lovely shades of golds and chocolate chevrons. To make it more confusing? At least 2the more types of golden have been developed :)

Manchurian Gold are the red to chocolate head colored with pure golden bodies on males the hens may have a few body spots with a less vibrant colored head. Italian Speckled gold have black checrons on a gold bird ant Autumn Amber will have lovely shades of golds and chocolate chevrons. To make it more confusing? At least 2the more types of golden have been developed :)

Back
Top Bottom