Could this be coccidiosis?

diana90

Hatching
Apr 21, 2024
I'm currently brooding 2, 3 week old chicks. This morning I noticed one of them had loose stool and after inspecting both of them I noticed that one had this red, meaty looking thing stuck to its butt. I haven't tried to get it off yet, because I have no idea what it is. It kind of looks like bloody poop stuck in the fuzz. Do I need to treat for anything or just keep on eye on them? Both of them are eating and drinking fine and not acting lethargic.

Attachments

• 20240506_110616.jpg
    20240506_110616.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240506_110630.jpg
    20240506_110630.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240506_102000.jpg
    20240506_102000.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 6
The one on the right looks like cecal poop which they do a couple times a day and it stinks.

The blood on the butt I'm not sure what that would be. To safely get it off, I'd give it a warm soak with some mild soap and then with a rag or paper towel try getting it off and then you can see what it is better.

Have they been strictly on starter crumbles or have you introduced anything new to them?

If they start acting lethargic, then I would treat them with Corid.

Here's a dosing chart just in case you'd need it.

Attachments

• Corid dosage chart.jpg
    Corid dosage chart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! I soaked it off and it was dried poop that looked bloody. I haven't noticed anymore today. They have been strictly on medicated chick starter.
The one on the right looks like cecal poop which they do a couple times a day and it stinks.

The blood on the butt I'm not sure what that would be. To safely get it off, I'd give it a warm soak with some mild soap and then with a rag or paper towel try getting it off and then you can see what it is better.

Have they been strictly on starter crumbles or have you introduced anything new to them?

If they start acting lethargic, then I would treat them with Corid.

Here's a dosing chart just in case you'd need it.

Back
Top Bottom