Crowing at 4:30-4:54am. Why?

chickmomma03

Songster
Aug 8, 2015
North Carolina
Ok, seriously, don't laugh. My first cockerel, and he didn't do this before, he's 6 1/2mos. All of a sudden he's crowing at around 4:30-5am the last few mornings, and it's still completely dark out. I'm not going to open the coop at 5am when it's still dark because they WON'T come out of it. I DON'T close it until it's dark because the last time I did close before dark he decided to let me know how ****** he was at 4am. I get up at a very reasonable hour and open the coop (7am at the latest) and don't close until 7-7:30 even though it's already dark. In the summer it was later obviously.

I am NOT going to band him, de-crow him, or anything like that, but I'd love to know what piss bug crawled up his rear the past few mornings. I'm not enjoying the 4-5am wake up calls. I HAVE gone out and checked to make sure he's not alerting to predators too. Nothing, no hawks, no owls, no creeping crawlers like the neighbors' cats or anything.

Maybe he missed the time change memo? Ugh! And he doesn't just crow once, he lets out several, takes a break, and then lets out more.
he.gif

That's normal. Roosters like to crow just before sunrise. I'm guessing the reason that he wasn't crowing before is that he is still young and just getting up to speed. Good luck with your flock.

My little rooster is 4 weeks old, still in the house, and and already crowing. He does it at 4:00 o'clock in the morning, almost every morning. He's got food, water, and 4 chicken girls. He continues to crow until I get up. They sleep right next to my bed, so imagine a little rooster crowing in your ear from 4 o'clock in the morning until you get up. It is very loud and annoying, especially a baby crow, it is a really, high pitched, squeaky crow. I just deal with it, I think he just wants attention, because he'll be quite if I let him on my bed with me. That just makes the other chickens start making noise though.
1f612.png

No light in the coop. The neighbor gets up at about that time to go to work so maybe he's seeing that.

He's HEARING it. ;)

My roos s will crow at 1 am, 3 am, 2:43... Whenever I happen to be meandering in the yard... Usually snooping on a noise DH heard. They stop when I say ,"Just me, guys."

He's hearing your neighbor, and announcing to would-be-intrudet/predator, "Rooster, here, I'll kick your behind if you come any close to my girls."

;)

Crowing at 4:30-4:54am. Why?

Because they can?

Not unusual, not necessarily because there's a 'problem', not because he want to be let out, they just (cockadoodle)DO!

Just ignore it if you can, eat him if you can't.

My chickens are far enough away that I can barely hear my rooster inside even in the daytime if theres no TV on or any noise. He has never woke me up but there has been mornings that I have to go to work early so take my dog out for her morning walk around 5 AM and I've heard him crow then. I do think they just wake up early anyway.

Back
Top Bottom