Cuckoo and buff silkie genetics?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I got some eggs off ebay a few months ago. Thanks to my wonderful hatching abilities ( :lol) I'm now the proud owner of 1 cuckoo baby,
roll.png
and one buff baby.

The cuckoo baby has neither black eyes nor 5 toes. It is orange-eyed with 4 toes per foot, but it does have silkie feathers and black skin.

The buff baby is perfect in skin color and such.

Question #1: I was wondering if this is normal with cuckoo silkies?

Question #2: The only other silkies I have are 5 whites (1 roo, 4 hens), 3 white babies, 1 black hen, and 1 black baby. Should I put the buff in with the whites or the black/cuckoos?

#3: Should I even use the cuckoo? It looks to be a cockerel, it seems to be getting its brain tumor
tongue.png

Thanks for any help you can give me
big_smile.png

In general, cuckoos stilll have a long way to come. Dark skin & comb are good, dark eyes are needed as are 5 toes--something to work on. Neither buff nor cuckoo are likely to pair well with white or each other. If you have no other choice, pair both with the black.

What do you mean by brain tumor?

Photos?

Quote:
Sorry, that's what their comb looks like...a brain tumor
tongue.png
The cuckoo is getting a bubbly looking comb, while the buff isn't. The buff's comb is still pretty much flat. I'll get pics in a sec......

Silkies have a walnut comb. This is more or less the ideal shape:
20590_imgp1225.jpg

His comb colour is really too red, although it is acceptable; of course, this bird is a silkieXbrahma who guards my laying flock, not one of my exhibition birds
smile.png

Last edited:
I agree with useing black to improve the cukoo but i think you will find it easy to aquire other buffs though. You can cross them together if you want Creole Silkies. Then cross the offspring back to buff for buff cukoo.

Maybe they are more common around here. I have bought them and have seen them often at the local swaps here for years. I even found dark red silkies several years ago at the swaps.

Quote:
Im having a hard time finding other bearded buff eggs or birds.
hu.gif

I am not having too much trouble finding eggs, I just have trouble hatching them!
lau.gif

Quote:
I am not sure which part of the state you are in, but I have never seen buff silkies in this area. Now, I have only been 'in chickens' for about a year, not even in fact, but I go to the local auction weekly, and I go to several larger auctions when available, and I haven't seen them.

It is difficult to find good quality buff silkies anywhere

Back
Top Bottom