Delaware eggs

ijon

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Another no hatch of Delaware eggs. I guess I'm not supposed to have any. One pipped and didn't hatch all the rest died about half way through. Shipped eggs and the person goes out of her way to insure good packaging. Any thoughts.

Shipped eggs are a gamble, but to hatch nothing after two goes is really bad luck. Can you tell us a bit more? Did you candle the eggs to check for air cell damage? How did you place the eggs? What was the humidity and temperature during incubation?

Are you able to hatch other breeds in that incubator or is it just the Delaware? What kind of hatch rate does the shipper get? I've had 100% hatch rate from shipped eggs and some really horrible hatches, both from the same shipper.

Generally if an egg quits in the first week, it has something to do with the eggs before you started incubating. If they die in the last week it normally means there was something wrong with the incubation itself.

If you are that serious about wanting Delaware, I suggest you find your state thread in the section below and find a neighbor that wants to split a shipment or maybe even has some Delaware.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Oh, I am in the same boat, but with shipped silkie eggs! 24 eggs and 2 chicks and 2 more having trouble hatching. The rest of the eggs seem to be doing nothing and I am on hatch day!! Not so exciting when most of my eggs have fully developed chicks that aren't even pipping!! Bizarre! With my own silkie eggs I was getting 100 present hatches! Shipping eggs really does a number on them!

The Delaware are heritage and I think its the chickens. Last hatch with my own eggs and a dry hatch five out of six eggs hatched. I did same thing this hatch with one of my own eggs and it hatched but none of the others.

Back
Top Bottom