Diamond dove bouncing of her cage

My Millie’s

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2017
I have two female diamond doves approximately five months old . My silver white female at night is taking flight and flying directly into the cage several times throughout the night. She hits so hard her tail feathers are about 1 inch long now and most are completely gone. I don’t know what to do for her she seems to be out of control.
Little background info about their cage. The size of the cage is 22 x 30 x 52 inches, the bottom of the cage is a flat surface with recycled paper fibers. I have 2 wooden flat surfaces for them to land on and they have an option of 2 wood branches to sit on. I have also put artificial greenery inside the cage and have a number of feed bowls, grit bowls and water bowls. I also have a dim night late so the room isn’t completely black. They are located in a room where I spend a lot of time so they are very used to me being in there with a tv on.
This aggressive flight behavior seems to be excessive and I’m afraid she’s really going to hurt her self. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be with her or any advice as to how I can change her behavior? Sometime this past Friday the other female bird has layed an egg and she and the other bird seem to be very focused on staying in the nest and laying on the agg but once night falls she’s back to flying into the cage many times thought the night.

I was wondering if you watch t.v. in said room at night ? I would try making the room black if not the room then the cage. Your Dove might see light and shadows from the t.v. if you make it black I think this might help. GL!!!
CRZYTRKR

I have two female diamond doves approximately five months old . My silver white female at night is taking flight and flying directly into the cage several times throughout the night. She hits so hard her tail feathers are about 1 inch long now and most are completely gone. I don’t know what to do for her she seems to be out of control.
Little background info about their cage. The size of the cage is 22 x 30 x 52 inches, the bottom of the cage is a flat surface with recycled paper fibers. I have 2 wooden flat surfaces for them to land on and they have an option of 2 wood branches to sit on. I have also put artificial greenery inside the cage and have a number of feed bowls, grit bowls and water bowls. I also have a dim night late so the room isn’t completely black. They are located in a room where I spend a lot of time so they are very used to me being in there with a tv on.
This aggressive flight behavior seems to be excessive and I’m afraid she’s really going to hurt her self. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be with her or any advice as to how I can change her behavior? Sometime this past Friday the other female bird has layed an egg and she and the other bird seem to be very focused on staying in the nest and laying on the agg but once night falls she’s back to flying into the cage many times thought the night.
I dont raise anything other than chickens but, I do know that having complete darkness at night helps regulate their cycles so they rest. Perhaps it is the same with doves.. Try making the room completely dark at the same time each night and see if she settles down.

I was wondering if you watch t.v. in said room at night ? I would try making the room black if not the room then the cage. Your Dove might see light and shadows from the t.v. if you make it black I think this might help. GL!!!
CRZYTRKR

I don't know about diamond doves but in general i agree even limited light can be a problem. Could you try eliminating the night light or covering the cage?

I dont raise anything other than chickens but, I do know that having complete darkness at night helps regulate their cycles so they rest. Perhaps it is the same with doves.. Try making the room completely dark at the same time each night and see if she settles down.
Beat me to it!:highfive:

I breed and sell diamond doves and have done so for about 10 years.

Your birds problem is very common and normal behaviour with this kind of dove.

They are prone to 'night frights' when they get spooked by something like a movement, noise etc and will fly about wildly. Indeed, you are right to worry, because this annoying behaviour can lead to serious injuries, or even the bird breaking its neck.

I know that complete darkness does not even work.. because a sound, or a slight light from a passing car, etc will set them off.

I found the best thing was actually to have a night light for them near the cage so they can see the perches at night.

I advise you to cover the cage over with a heavy towel at night (so no light can pass though the material). But leave the front section of the cage uncovered. Near this uncovered section put a dim light night for them.

I hope that will help you birds in the future.

Also as another poster said, if you watch TV, or walk close to the cage at night in that room that will always set the birds off. If that is the case you are better to put the cage into another quiet room each night.

Back
Top Bottom