Do chickens ever not eat the supplemental calcium?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
Long story short: 4 hens on an all flock feed supplemented with oyster shell and crushed egg shell.
One of my Isa Brown hens is laying soft shelled eggs. Maybe the same one that every once in awhile lays double yolker or lays from the roost. These incidences happened when I fed layer feed too, but lately it has occurred more frequently.
They have been on all flock feed for about 3 months. Just wondering if sometimes a hen does not self-regulate their calcium intake if offered separately?

It's not so much that a laying hen might not be eating the oyster shell to satisfy calcium needs. The issue more often is that an individual's body may not be efficiently utilizing the calcium.

This can happen regardless of eating oyster shell. Additional calcium needs to be given in the form of a calcium supplement such as calcium carbonate or calcium citrate and it helps a lot for vitamin D3 to be added to the calcium supplement.

Very often this can correct the imbalance and the hen will go on to lay normal eggs after a brief period on the supplement.

Honestly, I think it's more of a personal gland issue. :hmm

Most often when I see softees or any laid during roost time... it is from new layers or those entering or exiting molt type stuff. In other words a hiccup of the system starting up or shutting down.

I never feed anything but flock raiser and OS on the side. But a hen will sacrifice the calcium from her own body before laying softees... making them a hiccup or gland issue. :fl

It's not so much that a laying hen might not be eating the oyster shell to satisfy calcium needs. The issue more often is that an individual's body may not be efficiently utilizing the calcium.

This can happen regardless of eating oyster shell. Additional calcium needs to be given in the form of a calcium supplement such as calcium carbonate or calcium citrate and it helps a lot for vitamin D3 to be added to the calcium supplement.

Very often this can correct the imbalance and the hen will go on to lay normal eggs after a brief period on the supplement.
Thanks. I read about vitamin d3 last night. So, maybe I will add some nutri drench. I have been giving rooster booster vitamins every other fresh water fill, but maybe that is not enough? What forms of calcium carbonate or citrate should I look for?

Honestly, I think it's more of a personal gland issue. :hmm

Most often when I see softees or any laid during roost time... it is from new layers or those entering or exiting molt type stuff. In other words a hiccup of the system starting up or shutting down.

I never feed anything but flock raiser and OS on the side. But a hen will sacrifice the calcium from her own body before laying softees... making them a hiccup or gland issue. :fl
The hen would be 2. I have had them since October and none of the Isa Browns have molted although my Brahma has.

People calcium tablets as found in the vitamin aisle. Or you can try to find powdered calcium at a feed store. I crush a tablet and sprinkle it over some grated raw carrot. Or I might just dip the tablet in peanut butter. Most chickens think peanut butter is a fine treat.

When you see little calcium pimples on the eggs, you can stop giving the supplement.

People calcium tablets as found in the vitamin aisle. Or you can try to find powdered calcium at a feed store. I crush a tablet and sprinkle it over some grated raw carrot. Or I might just dip the tablet in peanut butter. Most chickens think peanut butter is a fine treat.

When you see little calcium pimples on the eggs, you can stop giving the supplement.
Interesting, calcium pimples? I have always noticed my barred rock eggs were slightly bumpy but ameraucana eggs are always smooth as glass. Both always have super hard shells, never a soft shell. They both eat the same food and have access to oyster shell. Wonder why there is a difference in egg shell texture?

Back
Top Bottom