Dog bite/green poop

B24

Hatching
May 6, 2024
Hi all. I'm looking for some help. Long story short my dog got ahold of a hen and it took a couple of days for me to find the bite mark/puncture. I've treated with an epsom salt bath and vetericyn spray. She's not been walking around. I have been trying to give her water with electrolytes/prebiotic. Her poop is hard, green with a little cream colored stuff that's a bit runny on top/mixed in. Looking for advice on how to hopefully have her make a full recovery!

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the hen and wounds?

Where is the wound located?

She's unable to stand/walk or just prefers to sit?

Any odor or signs of infection in the wound?

If she's not been eating and drinking, this could be why the poop is green, it's probably bile.

Work on hydration, getting electrolytes into her is good. See if she will drink from a cup if you hold it to her beak. Once drinking, then offer wet mushy feed.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the hen and wounds?

Where is the wound located?

She's unable to stand/walk or just prefers to sit?

Any odor or signs of infection in the wound?

If she's not been eating and drinking, this could be why the poop is green, it's probably bile.

Work on hydration, getting electrolytes into her is good. See if she will drink from a cup if you hold it to her beak. Once drinking, then offer wet mushy feed.
I couldn't figure out how to upload pictures from my phone, unfortunately. The wound is on her right side, low and to the left of her vent, but not really near her vent. It doesn't look terrible to me, but she appears to be going down hill as there is less interest in eating and drinking this morning. 😔 She can stand and walk but prefers to sit. And I don't smell anything from the wound, but it did look swollen some around the wound itself. I did offer mushy food yesterday, which she did eat some. I gave her some meal worms which she was also interested in. Today neither of those things interested her much. I have been giving her water by syringe.

1St notice of wound. The next day. Her poop. It seems to be a bit more runny today, but I didn't get a picture.

Attachments

• 20240504_170000.jpg
    20240504_170000.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240506_060459.jpg
    20240506_060459.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240506_194406.jpg
    IMG_20240506_194406.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
I'm sorry she's not doing any better.

I'd really flush that wound out well. It looks like it is near the vent perhaps since there's dirty feathers with urates surrounding it. If necessary, trim the feathers away from the wound to help it stay cleaner.

Once cleaned really well, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.

Re-check to make sure there's no other wounds, sometimes there can be one hidden under feathers.

Do the best you can to get fluids into her and see if you can get her to eat.

If you have an antibiotic on hand like Amoxicillin, it may be a good idea to start her on that.

Thank you everyone for your guidance. (Un)fortunately she passes away last night. But she did throw up. Not sure whay caused that. I was giving her water with electrolytes and prebiotic with a syringe. I did also give her a mixture of acv, water and honey. I hope I didn't cause her to do this. And I hope she passed peacefully.

Thank you everyone for your guidance. (Un)fortunately she passes away last night. But she did throw up. Not sure whay caused that. I was giving her water with electrolytes and prebiotic with a syringe. I did also give her a mixture of acv, water and honey. I hope I didn't cause her to do this. And I hope she passed peacefully.
So sorry for your hen and your loss of her!

Thank you. Through some further research I think she had sour crop. I feel so bad I couldn't save her. I did what I could and prior to the dog bite she loved a pretty darned good life.

I'm sorry:hugs

Back
Top Bottom