Dog Waterer/Feeder?

AccentOnHakes

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
I saw some at PetSmart...a bit like the ones for chickens...only with a square opening on one side instead of the holder in the middle. Will the water be too shallow for the chickens to drink? Dogs lap it up, so I think it might be different. It holds 3.3 liters...is that enough for 7 bantams? I'm getting them in the spring, and I don't think the water is deep enough to drown chicks. Any dog owners who can offer some advice?

The feeder I'm not too worried about, except the same problem about how much it can hold. It's about the same size, don't remember how much it holds, though I'm sure it can be found on the label.

I'm not familiar with the dog feeder/waterer but sounds like it will work for you. I think you'll find that the waterer will need cleaning out before it runs out of water. My chicks always fill theirs up by scratching around in whatever is covering the floor. A few small rocks placed in the open water area will prevent any drownings and in a couple of weeks they can be discarded as the chicks get bigger.

I use a dog feeder for my food, thought about getting one for water but in your case I would suggest just the 1 or 3 gallon chicken waterer. Its probably about the same in cost and what it will hold and you can hang it if you want to to keep them from kicking the shavings in. I love my feeder though, I think mine holds 20 pounds and it lasts my 8 a couple days. And its plenty deep, I have it on a box up off the ground to help with spillage.

5945_2401139.jpg

That's great! For the waterers, I can put it on a block or something.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom