Donate your unwanted roosters and old hens

Feathered_Texans

Songster
Sep 24, 2018
Central Texas
I thought I’d suggest this idea for people who don’t want to kill their chickens themselves or don’t know what to do with them.
Donate them to your local zoo or somewhere that has carnivorous animals. They will use them as food for animals like snakes, alligators or other meat eaters. The whole process is humane and they are already dead when they are given to the animals to eat. Just make sure you call before hand to make sure they accept them, mine did and they fed them to their kimono dragons.
If you have any other ideas of your own, feel free to share!

I don't think I could do that. I love my girls to death and if I get chicks this spring and have a rooster..... well, I couldn't let any other animal eat it. 😢 The chick can't help that he's a rooster. Maybe I could give him to a person with a rooster flock/needs a rooster for their flock. How do you know it's all humane?

To each his own, though.

Maybe I could give him to a person with a rooster flock/needs a rooster for their flock.

Which sounds great, until you're faced with the reality that there's a lot more roos than homes wanting them. My feed store keeps a list of roos that are looking for a new home, but I don't think there's a lot of takers. Their more practical suggestion is to donate them to a local farm that accepts free chickens for dinner.

Which sounds great, until you're faced with the reality that there's a lot more roos than homes wanting them. My feed store keeps a list of roos that are looking for a new home, but I don't think there's a lot of takers. Their more practical suggestion is to donate them to a local farm that accepts free chickens for dinner.

Well, that's what I was talking about. I wouldn't want any of my roosters/other unwanted chickens to be eaten. You said "....more practical suggestion is to donate them to a local farm that accepts free chicken for dinner."

I don't think I could do that. I love my girls to death and if I get chicks this spring and have a rooster..... well, I couldn't let any other animal eat it. 😢 The chick can't help that he's a rooster. Maybe I could give him to a person with a rooster flock/needs a rooster for their flock. How do you know it's all humane?

To each his own, though.

Sorry, but it's harder to re-home cockerel's and rooster's than you think.

Back
Top Bottom