Duck house/run

HollyParks

Songster
Sep 30, 2023
Looking for duck house/run ideas. Currently I’m rebuilding the coop for my chickens and I’ve decided not to keep my runner ducks with them. Does the duck house door have to be closed or can there be an opening for them to come and go as they please? Mine are currently in a brooder but are almost fully feathered and we’re all ready for them to go outside. I just want to do the setup right the first time. We have enough property for them to free range too.

To add: I have two currently and I’m getting a couple more on Sunday so they won’t be so lonely. Currently my girls follow me around and sit in my lap.

Attachments

• 155C5B43-1DCB-44D3-AA48-DAF31B450E0B.jpeg
    155C5B43-1DCB-44D3-AA48-DAF31B450E0B.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 35
Here's my duck coop that was recently finished. You may not need something this large, but here's a pic anyways! Maybe you can get something out of it.
I keep my duck door open, my ducks know to go inside at night. Also, runner ducks do need taller doors.
IMG_6207.JPG

Here's my duck coop that was recently finished. You may not need something this large, but here's a pic anyways! Maybe you can get something out of it.
I keep my duck door open, my ducks know to go inside at night. Also, runner ducks do need taller doors. View attachment 3823930
That’s beautiful! Yeah, that’s why I was worried about getting an automatic door… poor girls are too tall! Do yours come out of the run?

It’s never safe to just let domestic ducks come and go as they please. They need protection from predators and the elements. Im not saying free range is wrong mine free range during the day inside fencing but at night they need the protection of a coop. Predators are out looking for a free meal 24/7.

That’s beautiful! Yeah, that’s why I was worried about getting an automatic door… poor girls are too tall! Do yours come out of the run?
Thank you! As long as you have a predator proof run, you can just cut out your own door and leave it open.
If I'm home my ducks are free ranging in my chain link fence right behind the house. When I'm gone I put them up in the run.

It’s never safe to just let domestic ducks come and go as they please. They need protection from predators and the elements. Im not saying free range is wrong mine free range during the day inside fencing but at night they need the protection of a coop. Predators are out looking for a free meal 24/7.
Sorry, I meant come and go within a run.
sorry, I meant come and go within a run. We do have a lot of predators where I am. I wouldn’t just let them have a house where it wasn’t also secured. I’ll let mine free range during the day.

Thank you! This looks like something I was thinking for my four.
The pen was bought off amazon. But, I reinforced the frame with chain link rails on the sides, back, front and roof. I also used hwc instead of the chicken wire that came with it. I built the a-frame house and actually sits outside the pen so it gave them more room, then stapled hwc to the sides of it.

Back
Top Bottom