Duck ordering questions

Chelly

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 11, 2007
OK, I've ordered some chicks, and one breed was not available, so I've decided to add some ducks instead!
lol.png

I would like either Blue Swedish or Cuyaga - I'm wavering between the two, and might end up getting two of each
lol.png

Should I get a Pair, male and female or two females? I'm not really interested in breeding them, but I dont' need a ton of eggs either - they'll just be for pets, entertainment etc... I will use/eat the eggs, but don't want TOO many. (going to have 9 chickens for eggs)

If I got a pair of each, would they all get along? and can I keep them with the chickens? Can they eat the same food?
Are the drakes agressive or are they nice and friendly - generally? (I've got two young children)

Thanks
Chelly

CHelly,
I can't help you with the ducks but I am still thinking about the Marans that Ideal will not have available when you want them. Assuming it is the very dark eggs you are after, have you considered (and will Ideal have them is probably a more appropriate question) getting welsummers? I have heard (no first hand experience) that they lay dark eggs all summer where as the marans eggs get lighter as the year progresses. Also you might call Ideal back and tell them that if they, by some stroke of good fortune, have marans that you would like them added to your order. Aran was told that he would be sent a substitute for one of the breeds he ordered and they ended up having what he originally ordered, so he was happy with that. I can't help but wonder if he wishes he had gotten some of the substitute birds, as they were really cool looking. It is worth a try.
smile.png
I am happy for you. Send pictures when you can.

The lady that emailed told me to call to add to my order, I did ask about Welsummers but she said to call closer to the time.

I was hoping for the dark brown eggs, as I have included in my order, white, brown and the green/blue egg layers, I thought it would be really cool to have a bunch of different colors - and to know who laid what.

Chelly

duckies are very friendly, but if you do not want many i would say get the same sex. if not you might want to regulate how many eggs the female sits on. They get along great with chickens. Ducks are VERY entertaining. I had to raise mine inside, they are so messy!! feed the duckies anything green and boiled eggs every now and again. You can give them chicken mesh but be sure you give them greens as well. Make sure they have water at all times. DO NOT give your duckies bread on a day to day basis, this is not good for them, you can give it to them as a treat but not often. IF the duckies grow up together they will get along. they are like chickens, they take time to get to know each other.

However duckies are masters of escape, but not as bad as peacocks. When mine discovered they could get out of the pool, they were almost full size, and had me chasing them around the yard.

but have fun and post pics!!

You need a female. That is why I am having to order females. My male ducks would rape each other all day long and when the baby mallard died they had tore up his neck.

My male duckies raped the chickens! You have to watch those guys. Remember that duck eggs taste differently. They are a little strong for some. But great for baking.

Hmmmmmmmm perhaps then I'll just get females, don't want those ducks chasing my chickens to get some.....
lol.png

I was only going to order two, but then though if we perhaps lost one, then I'd have a lonely one
sad.png

I'm SO confused, perhaps I'll get THREE then, females....

Thank you!!
Chelly

HI- I have 6 young ducklings-3 Blue Swedish and 3 Cayuga. They are straight run-and the girl tried to choose females based on behavior (loud peeping when they were a day old) but I still don't know if they are male or female. I tend to think female as they still quack loudly if picked up. They were brooded inside then put outside at 5 weeks old, then put inside the chicken pen (but inside a dog pen that was in the chicken pen) with 51 young chickens for a few weeks so they could all look at each other. 2 days ago, we took the dog pen out and put the baby pool in for them. Only the ducks go in the pool. They all get along fine. THey all eat the duck grower food-no meds for the ducks to OD/gorge on (if they were eating poultry grower food.) The Cayugas will give dark eggs I hear, when they start to lay. Our 1 grown up Blue Swedish female lays a whitish colored egg for a few days in a row then stops for a few days, then lays again...on 2 or 3 days, off 2 or 3 days... on and on. They are good. My kids and DH prefer the duck eggs over the chicken eggs. Always scrambled...I do hear the duck eggs are great for baking. I haven't tried it yet. (No time to bake lately!)

Hope this helps you. I'd def order the ducks- and get all female if you have a choice. THey are so much fun and not as pecky or nervous as chickens I think.
Lisa
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom