ducky diapers

deedeetheduck

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
I have a domestic duck that is 6 months old and im thinking of getting her diapers, what everyones opinion?
has anyone used them before? can they swim with them on?

I would say no to swimming with diapers on. I have never put a diaper on a duck but I have a kid so I know a bit about diapers. They absorb water, obviously. It'll get HUGE if you let the duck swim with a diaper on. It'll get heavy and may sink the duck. They have little swimmers diapers but all they do is catch the poo. It's water permeable so pee goes right through.

My biggest question is why you would stick a duck in a diaper. Baffling. You keep this duck inside and it's happy about it?? My ducks run at the sight of me and act like I'm killing them whenever I pick them up.

are you home all the time? Ducks poop for a living, I'd think it would constantly need to be changed or rinsed or whatever, wouldn't pasty butt be a problem?. Is there a reason you'd want it to wear it outside? If it is because they poop everywhere it seems kinder to fence them off in their own area rather than free range the front steps, the back steps, the deck, the patio, the porch :) I've not had ducks, but my friend did and there was poop Everywhere.

Ducks poop for a living,
gig.gif

Well, from what I have read and heard, those with indoor ducks do just fine. The diapers are not on all the time, just when the duck is chillin' in other parts of the house than the pen/duck room. I agree, swimming would be done sans diaper, as would trips to the yard (optional diaper).

There are ducks that seem to enjoy sitting on the Lazy Boy with their favorite person, snackin' on peas or mealworms, watching the TV. It may not be the lifestyle of choice for some of us, but if the animal is healthy and well cared for, and the person feels good about it, I am not too worried.

I don't put diapers on my ducks, but my 2 little ducklings love to sit on my lap and watch TV. I just put a towel under them.

I don't put diapers on my ducks, but my 2 little ducklings love to sit on my lap and watch TV. I just put a towel under them.
thumbsup.gif

I could simply never bring myself to try to get eleven runners to sit with me on the sofa . . . they'd be bored, anyway, never mind the poop issue. But if I had just a couple, . . . . .

Hi everyone!
Yes,I thought diepers was a little strange too but DeeDee is 6 months old she has her own garden with a pond and a little house where she sleeps but when i come home she loves to be with me in the house always. But as we all know Ducks Poop ALLOT! I have tried very hard to train her and she was doing really well. But it is very hard and my partners getting a little tired with always cleaning poo. I saw this other web page for domestic ducks and they have little ducky diepers and say they are very comfortable for the duck. So i thought i would just ask to see what everyones take on this was?? I just thought that i would prefer her wear diepers and spend allot more time with me than be left on her own in the garden
hu.gif

deedeetheduck, I think you are right. If she is an only duck, it will make all the difference in the world for her to be with you as much as possible. Please consider getting her a duck companion, though, because 24/7 is a big responsibility for you. If she gets a duck companion she likes, I feel that long term, she will be happier and healthier. I would look for another female.

Back
Top Bottom