Easter Eggers laying varied egg colors

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
I have seven 22 week old EEs, and 5 of them are now laying. I've noticed that their egg color varies a lot from day to day. Sometimes it's a nice dark olive, or light green, and even blue sometimes. I know I'm not getting the pullets mixed up since I keep track of which pullet is in which nesting box. When I got my EEs I knew that they only lay one color for life, maybe a little color difference in each egg, but from green to blue seems like more than a small change. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed the same thing in their EE hens?

If you have five of them, the egg colors are coming form different birds.
It would seem that I'm getting the pullets mixed up, but I keep a close eye on which one is laying in which nesting box. I know my pullets extremely well, and I wouldn't mistake one for another.
Congrats on the new layers!
And thank you! They are absolutely wonderful. :D

I have a girl who, every laying season, starts up green and finishes blue. I have another who wouldn’t be caught dead laying eggs with any green.
6627F401-D3D2-40CB-84B8-25B135F0E1E5.jpeg
3F6C8C6B-2A06-402F-9B56-A71A065C654A.jpeg

See, this spring she was laying green.
image.jpg

Now blue.

Pullet won't always lay in the same box every day and pullets will share boxes
What I meant by checking on who's in which nesting box is that every morning when I go to collect eggs, I check to see which pullet is in which nesting box at that certain time. They never share boxes, either. I've never found 2 EE eggs in one box on the same day. They hate sharing apparently. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom