Egg-Bound hen. Can't feel the egg.

May 1, 2020
My beautiful little white leghorn, Marco, (her sister is named polo) seems to be egg-bound. She starting seeming lethargic on Tuesday and didn't lay or rush out to get treats like she usually does. She looked a little puffed up but she didn't have anything else really going on and she seemed fine other than that. On, Wednesday however, her tail went down and she picked up a penguin walk. I gave her 3 baths that day with warm water and put some oil around her vent. The day after she still didn't pass an egg so I inserted my finger feeling for the egg but I couldn't feel anything. She is just empty. Now today, she is extremely lethargic, she isn't sitting down but she just stands in the coop or the corner and doesn't move, she is fluffed up and hasn't eaten or drank much, I tried giving her crushed tums on her maggot treats, nothing. I tried syringing water mixed with tums and vitamin B but she wasn't taking. She kept moving her head and slamming her beak shut. I've given her 4 baths today and still can't even feel the egg anywhere in the vent. I have no clue what it is and she seems so weak that she couldn't even stand up in the bath or jump into her coop without me helping her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about your little hen. How long ago has she laid eggs? She might not be egg bound, but could be experiencing a reproductive disorder. Symptoms can look similar. Has she been passing any droppings? I would try to give her some Poultry NutriDrench 1-2 ml orally very slowly to give her an electrolyte boost. I probably would not give her anymore calcium now, since you don’t feel an egg. I would try to give her some liquids.

She passes very runny white/yellow droppings and leaks some clear fluid from her vent. It has been 5 days since she laid. I have been trying to give her water with electrolytes with a plastic syringe but she doesn't like that so I have just been keeping the electrolyte water close to where she has been staying. It is also becoming very hard to tell how much she is eating because she has her feathers all puffed, it is hard to tell how big she really is. Thank you for the tips.

Good news and bad news. Bad news is today is the first day ever that her comb hasn't been stiff and bright red. It is floppy, pale, and brown. Today was also the first day she was sitting down. The good news is she took a good amount of electrolyte water through a syringe without too much trouble.

Besides that today is my first day finding grit inside of her vent. Also, today in her bath she is doing this thing where she is making a noise almost like if you or mere where congested when breathing, and she opens her mouth and sticks her tongue out repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom