Electric fence for bear protection

FreshPow

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 26, 2016
Anyone have any luck keeping black bears off with an electric fence? I'm wondering if this would be enough?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...e-kit-for-pets-and-small-animals?cm_vc=-10005

I lost 8/12 chickens so far and now the bears are digging to get into the run to eat the food there. Coop seems secure. I normally let the chickens free range, but they are on lockdown now. Dog treed a cub last night and mom wouldn't leave.

Not sure if an electric fence will stop a bear. Maybe a super charged one (think its called hot wire)

I would also call wild life control/ maybe DNR to see about getting rid of the proplem bear/bears. Maybe they can help get rid of them or remove them from your area. Or if all else fails you could get legal permission to kill them. As they are killing live stock.

Electric fences have taken over in bear country as the best way to protect things. Netting will work, but less expensive options include poly tape or rope, which are more visible than wire. You will want a potent fencer to power it up.

Rumor has it even some of the smaller dinky units are being used to protect campsites in bear country. Even some by backpackers.

There are too many bears around here to move but you are right, I just checked Colorado law and you can shoot a bear to protect livestock. For some reason I thought that was not allowed. Anyway, I don't want to shoot them anyway.

Wow, great video, thanks! I have seen electric fences around outfitter wall tents. In my experience the bears away from town are a lot less aggressive.

Electric fences have taken over in bear country as the best way to protect things. Netting will work, but less expensive options include poly tape or rope, which are more visible than wire. You will want a potent fencer to power it up.

Rumor has it even some of the smaller dinky units are being used to protect campsites in bear country. Even some by backpackers.

There are too many bears around here to move but you are right, I just checked Colorado law and you can shoot a bear to protect livestock. For some reason I thought that was not allowed. Anyway, I don't want to shoot them anyway.

Ask @Mtn Margie She uses hot fence for her setup and it works in CO.
Hope that you get a good bear stopper.
Scott

Old picture of a bear at my nest box. They never have figured out how to get in there, but probably will.

1267309_10201479161773986_1791056885_o.jpg

I also live in the Colorado Rockies, 8,700' up and surrounded by Pike National Forest. We protect our coop and run with 5 strands of hotwire powered by a Parmak charger that puts out about 3.8 joules. As we move into fall we'll add unwelcome mats in front of the external nest boxes and the coop door. It's worked for us so far.

Back
Top Bottom