Exterior Paint for Coop?

Tylt33

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Chico, California
What sheen of exterior paint is best for a coop? I've only been able to find threads for interior paint. I'm having a coop built and have the choice of paints for the exterior; I picked eggshell for the body and semi-gloss for the trim. Should I chance to semi-gloss for the body and gloss for the trim? Or both semi? Or both gloss?

Thanks!

well, I am no coop expert but have been doing a lot of painting lately. Our house, my new office space as well as our new coop. I would think it would be a personal preference which sheen, but keep in mind that the glossier it is, the easier it is to clean. Most importantly, it must be exterior grade paint, not just glossy interior, ifkwim. I personally LOVE the Sherwin Williams Durations exterior paint. Yes, it is really expensive, but it is unbelievable. We used it on our whole house and it is the best looking paint I have ever seen. I would pay extra to have the guy use that. Thankfully, we have some left from our house and are using it on our coop, too. I think we used satin as it only comes in 3 sheens.

Exterior, I'd go satin or whatever, and semi-gloss for the trim, as you've already picked. And the coop "house" part IS above the ground so there's less splash onto it. It's the interior (if painted) that really needs the gloss sheen for easy cleaning. If the interior is not painted, no biggie, as the poop won't show as much on that board. (Since I know what materials your builder uses.)

What color roof panel have you chosen? (Mine was grey - I was afraid white would blind me and everyone around us, and the green was TOO green. I wanted something fairly unobtrusive.)

What type of wood are you painting? For our shed that we've had for 19 years now, we had T111 on it, and I used a good colored stain, white. It would clean off so easy with just spraying a clorox solution on it then rinsing it. It was under a shady deck and would get green on it. We recently redid 1/2 of the panels and used a 30 year stain from Home Depot.

On our new shed, the Redi Panels call for paint, so next I'll be looking for some good paint that can be washed also.

It doesn't matter. Whatever ya got that you like (price- or color-wise)
smile.png
Remember though, clean surface well first, then a thin coat of primer, then two thin coats of paint. Thick coats get prematurely peely.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
My sentiments exactly. Today I just finished repainting the exterior of coop for the 3rd time in 25 years and that is pretty much what I did except the trim and walls are the same color--off white, satin Valspar exterior latex that I had Lowe's kind of match to a piece of our house siding. My wife has a thing about wanting all our outbuildings to match the house color. Except for the inside of the door and the bottom of the window sills, there is no paint on the interior--it is 4 X 8 sheets of vertical siding.
There is a prepainted/preroofed pix of my coop on my BYC page that I'll add to when I get to it.

Whatever they have in the mistint section of Home Depot or Lowe's! It's the only thing I use on any of my coops. I end up making so many changes wouldn't be fesible of me to spend more than $5 on a can of any paint. It's good paint to, Valspar, Bher, etc...

ETA--found a nice shade of blue and sand to paint my master bath with too!!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go a little more glossy for the body of the interior - maybe a semi-gloss. Not because I particularly like semi-gloss, it's just that the shinier the surface, the easier it will be to wash off. But if you've already purchased eggshell, it will be fine. I have an eggshell wall in my coop and it washes up fine. Trim is typically semi-gloss or gloss. It's really a personal preference kind of thing.

Like Pat said, primer is important so don't skip that step.

I wanted natural wood for my roost and nest box, so I coated them with a wash of linseed oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. The roost lifts out of the coop for hosing down - easy peasy.

Good luck. You won't regret painting the interior. Yes it's an extra step, but worth every minute of effort the first time you go to clean your coop...

Back
Top Bottom