Favourite Holiday Traditions

A new tradition I started when we moved into our new (current) house is to buy a tree ornament that represents the year. So far we have:
2019: new house ornament
2020: mom and son ornament wearing face masks 😷
2021: face mask ornament
2022: CHICKENS!! I don't have this one yet, but I'm hyped to buy one!

A tradition my mom started when us girls were little is on Christmas Eve, we parade around the house singing Silent Night. The lead person would carry baby Jesus, next person would carry a candle, everyone else falls in line. We go around the house twice then gather at the Christmas tree where my dad will read the bible passage about Jesus' birth. Then we sing Joy to the World and have birthday cake. Now that us girls are older, (us youngest are 40)our kids do it with us. They love it

We have a few. One of them is that each year when we put up our Christmas tree, the first things that go on after the lights are the collars of pets we've lost. They go right up at the top as a reminder that they may be gone, but they will always be in our hearts.
20201216_155449(1).jpg
20191211_160419.jpg

Not necessarily a tradition specific to my family or anything, I guess, but my favorite part of Thanksgiving has always been just goofing off and having a ton of fun in the kitchen most of the day with my sister and mom while we prepare the meal. It's been a couple years since I've really been able to, so I hope this year we can have that kind of fun with it again. :love

Also, not so much for a holiday but for fall in general, but I love the show Over the Garden Wall and watch it pretty much on repeat every fall. 🥰 I just love the fall vibes and the music in it, and it's such a sweet little story in a series that's short enough to watch like a movie, only about 2 hours long.

I don't really celebrate any other holidays, but I really love some of these traditions posted already. 🙂

Another tradition for me personally was that a friend of mine would send me a pewter Christmas ornament every Christmas, sadly, she passed away years ago, but… every time I decorate the tree with her ornaments, I remember her, and her incredible generosity for animals, lost people and what a great person she was. Whenever I can fly back to my former home, I go to the store where she bought them, and buy another ornament for the tree…

Last edited:
My whole extended family on my mother's side calls each other Christmas Eve morning at the crack of dawn (before 6 AM) to yell Christmas Eve gift. I have no idea where this started or why, but I've continued with it in good fun. Also, candy cane punch is a thing on Christmas Eve night that began with my great, great grandmother. Since I usually host the family dinner Christmas Eve, I make it (but never drink it, though, as it is dreadfully sweet)

Back
Top Bottom