Feathers on baby chicks looking ragged

mamadrake

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2018
Hi all...I just got four new baby sex links, and have noticed the past few days that their feathers are looking a bit ragged. They had a wet sort of look to them, but upon picking them up and inspecting them, they just look a bit ragged. I can see parts of the barbs. I don't remember this being the case with my babies last year. What could be the problem? Could this be an illness of some sort? They seem ok otherwise. Any insights are appreciated!

Hi all...I just got four new baby sex links, and have noticed the past few days that their feathers are looking a bit ragged. They had a wet sort of look to them, but upon picking them up and inspecting them, they just look a bit ragged. I can see parts of the barbs. I don't remember this being the case with my babies last year. What could be the problem? Could this be an illness of some sort? They seem ok otherwise. Any insights are appreciated!
Can you post some photos?
How old are they?

These girls I got about 1.5 weeks ago. Sorry for the bad quality image; I just have a cheap-o flip phone!

vcxbbb.jpg

It's hard to tell. But are you talking about new feather growth and the sheath that is surrounding the emerging feathers? Those will feel waxy.
Chicks will looked ragged as they lose their downy and new feathers come in.

upload_2019-3-20_0-3-48.png

I would assume that they are getting "big girl" feathers, and that's my gut feeling, especially since they seem otherwise just fine. But I just don't remember this scrappy-looking phase with my first bunch.

I would assume that they are getting "big girl" feathers, and that's my gut feeling, especially since they seem otherwise just fine. But I just don't remember this scrappy-looking phase with my first bunch.
Some can look worse than others, could be the other breeds you had feathered in more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom