First time duck owner-sexing pekins

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
At what age is sexing pekins possible? I have one week old ducklings who are growing rapidly. 😳. And I wasn't sure at what age it is possible to tell if they are males or females.

Ducklings grow SO fast, it’s insane!

It’s still to early to hear the noises yet- probably more like after 6/7 weeks? But you can look on youtube for videos to teach you what to listen for. Girls quack, males sort of mutter.

Ducklings grow SO fast, it’s insane!

It’s still to early to hear the noises yet- probably more like after 6/7 weeks? But you can look on youtube for videos to teach you what to listen for. Girls quack, males sort of mutter.
Thank you! I was reading some about a feather that only males have. I knew it was too early for that as they are just fuzz right now lol. They definitely do! My Pekin ducklings are twice the size of my step mothers (she's unsure of the breed of hers) who are two weeks older. I'm astonished at their growth. I'm also use to my silkies though, who seem to take forever to grow 😂

Yup curly drake feather eventually but you’ll know by sound sooner. Only hens quack.
Thank you! That will make it easier😊 I will give them some bath time tonight and post some photos. I'm so in love already. They have adorable little personalities. I only have two as of now, but would like to add another two in the next couple weeks. I'm just hoping my males to females ratio ends up being okay, that's my biggest concern

Back
Top Bottom