The Bigs and Littles, an Introduction.

Lore, snicker and doodle all came over to say hello the wee ones. Lore surprised me entirely by spending the most time with them. He immediately set to showing them how to peck and scratch and even chased off a curious Myth. Then lost interest and was off in search of bugs. But it went really really well!

The big eye jubilee is holding strong but as you will see her feathers are coming in all askew and she is still tiny. Fighting for it though!

Also, can anyone tell em if these Ameraucanas are going to grow up to be black or blue? I am fine with either, the breeder wasn’t sure which they would end up being and I curious.

Happy chickie sounds.
🥰

Weekly Synopsis - 5/11 thru 5/18

Happy Mother’s Day to all of FBA!!!

🚨 This thread moves fast, sometimes like lightning and at its heart it is about stories, people, and the chickens they love.
Idle chatting happens and no one and I mean no-one wants that to change, we love FBA just as it is!

BUT there is ONE rule so….
A much needed tax system overview, please read 💕- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

BYBob:
Phyllis is unimpressed with the dreary weather and turns in early - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Aurora takes offense! Hide all ye commoners! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pony and Desertvalleychickens tried hard to make amends on behalf of humans everywhere -
Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
BYBob doesn’t like spiders, Phyllis strongly disagrees! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful chickens deserve the best, a sushi treat 🍣- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
A gorgeous Glynda tax photo - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Lady Featherington and Glynda turned 2 today! Its a hatchday celebration 🎉-

RebeccaBoyd:
Caturday photos, cuteness overload warning ⚠️- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Mama Hen is believed to have passed, we are all very sorry but happy she had such a long and happy life - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
🌹 Tribute to Mama hen (part1) - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Marie2020:
Caturday photo, sweet stray - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Join in celebrating Marie2020’s BYC 4 year anniversary!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Before the storm photo - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful girl enjoying a lovely sunny day - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Princess got a foot and bum wash 🧼- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Go Princess go, move those legs! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday photos 💕

Desertvalleychickens:
Note to herself and all of us: collect eggs daily or be faced with this - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Evening photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
We have what appears to be Rooster feathers and a rather suspicious looking red comb on Lunar and Eclipse - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
One of her wonderful videos! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Cute spring cleaning video - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Ponypoor:
This is not a typical pony Sunday photo but such a cool snake, 🐍! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
And also an actual horse for pony Sunday, would we expect less from Ponypoor?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Spring is here and so are the rats 🐀 me too Ponypoor me too :( never ending battle -
Beautiful flock photos for tax ❤️-
Jaffarra sunbathing so cute! 🥰- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Is there anything better than chick mugs?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pony wins POW, take a look if you can, its a lovely photo of Betty - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Awesome tax photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Thirsty Thursday photos 💦- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Babies and Betty 🤍- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday!!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Royal Chick:
Another very unusual but welcome pony Sunday contribution! A super neat video capture of a spider descending. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Babs and Calypso posed for some exceptional photos for mugs Monday, thank you girls, you are both beautiful - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
There be Dragons 🐉 here! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Dragons from the back and a mystery- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
ThREe BrooDies!! Really girls?
Battle of wills over rainwater bowl, thirsty Thursday - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Piglet and the great dilemma of the spring of 2024, to brood or not to brood? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Fuentemoon:
Beautiful photos of her chickens - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Featherhead007:
Beautiful Queen Hen-Rietta sitting peacefully with Featherhead - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Sadly, the above picture was the last as Hen-Rietta passed on not long afterwards. All our hearts go out to Featherhead. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
He does have the littles to keep help him keep on going - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Rocks can be soft! Sweet Shenandoah mug - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Ceecee’s adorable little mug - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
A row of obedient chicks? This seems like a oxymoron but nope they really did comply with Alex’s request! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Some thirsty pics chicks and bigs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

RebeccaBoyd:
Whoever came up with tax photography payments is genius, so many beautiful photos! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Rural Mouse:
Mug in motion! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
More glares, how can they look so 😠 and still be adorable?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Twofers beautiful pictures of her flock in pairs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Cone of shame (Up reference) and how many chickens are in that tree??? -
Thirsty Thursday pictures, wild water is the best - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Stunning flock photos featuring sun and dust bathing - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Janiedoe:
Adorable mugs from Hilda and Willadean - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Wonderful glaring mugs from the naked neck! Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Wild water thirsty Thursday- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

ManueB:
Sad news Blanche, one of her ex- Batts, passed away on Saturday. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

LhickenChicken:
A love twofer of Lightening and Lumina - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

CC’s Garden:
Lovely chicken photo shoot! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
FB Friday gorgeous photo- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Beast Baby:
Thirsty Thursday photos and a mini update - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Lightm:
Pictures of her flock, beautiful chickens and photos as always! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Pastel the Rooster:
Aptly named Aphrodite - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Knoturavggrl:
A video of the introduction between the newbie’s and the bigs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Wattle Wednesday, so many great photos I decided to out them all together (trying something new, these are posts from different people but all wattle photos) Let me know if its a good idea or a bad one!

Weekly Synopsis - 5/11 thru 5/18

Happy Mother’s Day to all of FBA!!!

🚨 This thread moves fast, sometimes like lightning and at its heart it is about stories, people, and the chickens they love.
Idle chatting happens and no one and I mean no-one wants that to change, we love FBA just as it is!

BUT there is ONE rule so….
A much needed tax system overview, please read 💕- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

BYBob:
Phyllis is unimpressed with the dreary weather and turns in early - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Aurora takes offense! Hide all ye commoners! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pony and Desertvalleychickens tried hard to make amends on behalf of humans everywhere -
BYBob doesn’t like spiders, Phyllis strongly disagrees! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful chickens deserve the best, a sushi treat 🍣- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
A gorgeous Glynda tax photo - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Lady Featherington and Glynda turned 2 today! Its a hatchday celebration 🎉-

RebeccaBoyd:
Caturday photos, cuteness overload warning ⚠️- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Mama Hen is believed to have passed, we are all very sorry but happy she had such a long and happy life - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
🌹 Tribute to Mama hen (part1) - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Marie2020:
Caturday photo, sweet stray - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Join in celebrating Marie2020’s BYC 4 year anniversary!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Before the storm photo - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Beautiful girl enjoying a lovely sunny day - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Princess got a foot and bum wash 🧼- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Go Princess go, move those legs! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday photos 💕

Desertvalleychickens:
Note to herself and all of us: collect eggs daily or be faced with this - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Evening photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
We have what appears to be Rooster feathers and a rather suspicious looking red comb on Lunar and Eclipse - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
One of her wonderful videos! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Cute spring cleaning video - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Ponypoor:
This is not a typical pony Sunday photo but such a cool snake, 🐍! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
And also an actual horse for pony Sunday, would we expect less from Ponypoor?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Spring is here and so are the rats 🐀 me too Ponypoor me too :( never ending battle -
Beautiful flock photos for tax ❤️-
Jaffarra sunbathing so cute! 🥰- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Is there anything better than chick mugs?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Pony wins POW, take a look if you can, its a lovely photo of Betty - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Awesome tax photos - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Thirsty Thursday photos 💦- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Babies and Betty 🤍- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Caturday!!! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Royal Chick:
Another very unusual but welcome pony Sunday contribution! A super neat video capture of a spider descending. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Babs and Calypso posed for some exceptional photos for mugs Monday, thank you girls, you are both beautiful - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
There be Dragons 🐉 here! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Dragons from the back and a mystery- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
ThREe BrooDies!! Really girls?
Battle of wills over rainwater bowl, thirsty Thursday - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Piglet and the great dilemma of the spring of 2024, to brood or not to brood? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Fuentemoon:
Beautiful photos of her chickens - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Featherhead007:
Beautiful Queen Hen-Rietta sitting peacefully with Featherhead - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Sadly, the above picture was the last as Hen-Rietta passed on not long afterwards. All our hearts go out to Featherhead. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
He does have the littles to keep help him keep on going - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Rocks can be soft! Sweet Shenandoah mug - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Ceecee’s adorable little mug - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
A row of obedient chicks? This seems like a oxymoron but nope they really did comply with Alex’s request! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Some thirsty pics chicks and bigs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

RebeccaBoyd:
Whoever came up with tax photography payments is genius, so many beautiful photos! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Rural Mouse:
Mug in motion! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
More glares, how can they look so 😠 and still be adorable?? - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Twofers beautiful pictures of her flock in pairs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Cone of shame (Up reference) and how many chickens are in that tree??? -
Thirsty Thursday pictures, wild water is the best - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Stunning flock photos featuring sun and dust bathing - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Janiedoe:
Adorable mugs from Hilda and Willadean - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Wonderful glaring mugs from the naked neck! Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
Wild water thirsty Thursday- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

ManueB:
Sad news Blanche, one of her ex- Batts, passed away on Saturday. - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

LhickenChicken:
A love twofer of Lightening and Lumina - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

CC’s Garden:
Lovely chicken photo shoot! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'
FB Friday gorgeous photo- Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Beast Baby:
Thirsty Thursday photos and a mini update - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Lightm:
Pictures of her flock, beautiful chickens and photos as always! - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Pastel the Rooster:
Aptly named Aphrodite - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Knoturavggrl:
A video of the introduction between the newbie’s and the bigs - Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock'

Wattle Wednesday, so many great photos I decided to out them all together (trying something new, these are posts from different people but all wattle photos) Let me know if its a good idea or a bad one!
Thank you! I missed most of this week, so this was very helpful!

I can’t let my little ones out like that yet. They are getting bigger, but I have too many stray hungry cats in the neighborhood. :(
I am sitting with them (only a foot away from their “safety” tote, while the kids play. Having a safety spot really helps me both keep them safe and makes it easier to collect them to return them to the brooder.

I do not feel comfortable at their age with them out unattended. Plus, my Bigs seem to be taking them in stride BUT you never know.

The Bigs and Littles, an Introduction.

Lore, snicker and doodle all came over to say hello the wee ones. Lore surprised me entirely by spending the most time with them. He immediately set to showing them how to peck and scratch and even chased off a curious Myth. Then lost interest and was off in search of bugs. But it went really really well!

The big eye jubilee is holding strong but as you will see her feathers are coming in all askew and she is still tiny. Fighting for it though!

Also, can anyone tell em if these Ameraucanas are going to grow up to be black or blue? I am fine with either, the breeder wasn’t sure which they would end up being and I curious.

On the ameraucaunasv the one presenting fluffy butt at the beginning looks blue. There's a sort of shine to the center of the feathers with a darker rim. When the camera pans back to the babies, the darker one looks like black. The one staying in the tote, I can't quite tell if I'm seeing down between the feathers or blue feathers (like at the beginning). If I'm seeing blue, then I think you have 2 blue and 1 black.

I really am hoping that Pegasus is a good rooster.
I am so done with Pastel. If his son isn’t well behaved, I’m going to cry.

Gumbo was a sweet rooster. The only problem with him is that he attacked my girls. He never attacked me or anything. But he was too aggressive with my ladies.

Pumpkin and Basil (third and second roosters) were awful. I rehomed them both but they passed away. Basil has many sons at his new home.
I helped Pumpkin’s owner process him earlier in the school year, because he was very aggressive. He has a few sons left.

Pastel is awful to me. He is fine with the ladies, and always puts them first. Every time I walk into my coop though, he attacks my foot and tried to spur me. He was my first ever chicken, so I am reluctant to process or rehome him. He means a lot to me for being my first chook, but I can’t stand him.
The last week I haven’t gone in the coop because I’m too scared. It’s awful and I hate that I’m scared of a nine pound rooster. His spurs are so sharp, and I can’t trim them because I can hardly hold him anymore. He pecked my mom’s face last year when I was holding him and she still has a scar.

I’m not sure if I can cull him, and I don’t know anyone who would give him a good home.

I don’t want to get rid of him yet, because Pegasus is still so young. His mom is amazing, but I’m worried that he might be aggressive because of Pastel’s personality. I’m also not sure about his personality because of his broody mom. Willow is sweet enough, but I’m not sure if the way she is raising him will affect his personality.

Right now I hate Pastel with a passion. I don’t like it, because he has always been my favorite bird. He’s never had a problem with me up until a few months ago. I’m tired of his crap and I want to get rid of him.

What do you guys think? Get rid of him now and leave my girls with no rooster, or wait and see how Pegasus turns out?

I’m going to need to go into my coop eventually, but he’s going to flog my leg. (Flogs the word, right?)

I really am hoping that Pegasus is a good rooster.
I am so done with Pastel. If his son isn’t well behaved, I’m going to cry.

Gumbo was a sweet rooster. The only problem with him is that he attacked my girls. He never attacked me or anything. But he was too aggressive with my ladies.

Pumpkin and Basil (third and second roosters) were awful. I rehomed them both but they passed away. Basil has many sons at his new home.
I helped Pumpkin’s owner process him earlier in the school year, because he was very aggressive. He has a few sons left.

Pastel is awful to me. He is fine with the ladies, and always puts them first. Every time I walk into my coop though, he attacks my foot and tried to spur me. He was my first ever chicken, so I am reluctant to process or rehome him. He means a lot to me for being my first chook, but I can’t stand him.
The last week I haven’t gone in the coop because I’m too scared. It’s awful and I hate that I’m scared of a nine pound rooster. His spurs are so sharp, and I can’t trim them because I can hardly hold him anymore. He pecked my mom’s face last year when I was holding him and she still has a scar.

I’m not sure if I can cull him, and I don’t know anyone who would give him a good home.

I don’t want to get rid of him yet, because Pegasus is still so young. His mom is amazing, but I’m worried that he might be aggressive because of Pastel’s personality. I’m also not sure about his personality because of his broody mom. Willow is sweet enough, but I’m not sure if the way she is raising him will affect his personality.

Right now I hate Pastel with a passion. I don’t like it, because he has always been my favorite bird. He’s never had a problem with me up until a few months ago. I’m tired of his crap and I want to get rid of him.

What do you guys think? Get rid of him now and leave my girls with no rooster, or wait and see how Pegasus turns out?

I’m going to need to go into my coop eventually, but he’s going to flog my leg. (Flogs the word, right?)
You and your family are the only ones who can make that decision.

Personally, if Pastel in human aggressive, you don't want him teaching Pegasus ANY of that. Now, it's possible that Pegasus will go down that path anyway (he's going to go through hormonal idiocy), but not having an example to follow in that regard would be good. You might want to read Shadrach's article "Understanding Your Rooster" to help you make that decision.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Sigh. Six polish pullets out of eight.
Two roosters. I’m not complaining though. Athens is stunning (he attacks my hand but he’s cute) and Nemesis is just so handsome and sweet.
I figured out a few days ago that Neme was a roo. I saw wattles on his face, and noticed that his hair looked the same as Athens.
Athens has black feathers on his head, while Nemesis mainly has white feathers on his head. I’m planning on keeping them both.
Athens
IMG_4001.jpeg

Nemesis (Neme)
IMG_3992.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom