For those that eat duck

sherrik9

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Lake Tapps, WA
I've looked all over trying to find out how to get ducks processed for meat. Do I need to do the killing, cleaning or are there places that do that for you. I've never done this and would prefer not to but I have a couple of drakes that I would love to make into dog food. Any help appreciated.

Why make them into dog food? You spent the time and money raising them, why not eat them yourself?

From what I hear many places that process chickens won't do ducks because they have so many more feathers. I process mine myself (trying to get hubby to pitch in next time) it is not difficult.

As suggested try a deer processing place, search for poultry processing, actually any meat processing plant may do it. It will depend on where you live if there is anywhere nearby.

Post in the "where am I where are you" forum on BYC under your state.

If it comes down to it and you really don't want to do it yourself, put an ad on craigslist. But you never know who you would get.

Here in Chicago, local zoning prohibits you from processing on residential property.
We have a number of Kosher, Halal and Mexican butchers that are licensed to process and butcher live poultry on site, and they will process your fowl for a small fee. We used their services when we culled some drakes this summer. For about $3 per duck, they slaughter, process and pluck your bird for you. If you are near a major metro area, you may have some of these butchers near by-give them a ring and maybe they can help.

I do my own. The "local" processor is 150 miles away and charges $12 per duck. Chickens are $2. They don't really want to do ducks.

If you are feeding the ducks to the dogs, you could just skin them and save the trouble of plucking them.

Back
Top Bottom