Free ranging ducks how to keep them safe from predator???

Fuchsia

ℙ𝕚𝕟𝕜
Jul 19, 2020
Upstate NY
My Coop
My Coop
So the title kinda says it. How do you keep free ranging ducks safe from predators? The breeds I have can't fly so is it safe for them to free range? I would be okay letting ducks that can fly out to free range but breeds that can't:confused: I don't know. We let are chickens and guineas out free range but they don't have big feet so they can run fast and the guineas can fly. Does any body let ducks out free range that can't fly? Thanks!

Maybe it depends on where you live? I would never be able to do it here, we have a lot of predators. Our neighbors tried it with ducks twice. The second time they had 3 drakes. They locked them up at night and only let them free range occasionally but the ducks only survived a couple months. I don't think anything is safe here except supervised foraging walks and a fully enclosed aviary.

Maybe you could trust a livestock guard dog?

I provide "free range" time within a fenced area, and supervise their "free range" time. I have had foxes nab a duck in broad daylight and carry it off. Raccoons and hawks will also be happy to take over your unsupervised ducks.

I think it's safe to say that any breed running around feral in your area is safe to free range. And I am not aware of any domestic breeds that have gone feral, with the possible exception of muscovies.

So the title kinda says it. How do you keep free ranging ducks safe from predators? The breeds I have can't fly so is it safe for them to free range? I would be okay letting ducks that can fly out to free range but breeds that can't:confused: I don't know. We let are chickens and guineas out free range but they don't have big feet so they can run fast and the guineas can fly. Does any body let ducks out free range that can't fly? Thanks!
My jumbo Pekins are free range during the day and locked into their house at night. I’ve had free range ducks for 5 years. I have 6 acres that are fenced in that they can roam on. They free range with my guineas and calls (when I supervise them since they’re so tiny). We don’t have many daytime predators inside our yard. It just really depends on your setup and location and if it can be done safely or not. My Pekins do well and my guineas do help protect them (they even scare hawks away from my calls when they’re around) :clap:eek:
The one time I’ve had an attack *inside* my yard was when a hawk tried to get my call. The guineas were in the front yard so they weren’t there to help. I try to give them lots of potential hiding spots and places to duck under.
Do you have a fenced yard?
my only predator kills have been outside my fence.
My guinea nested behind my fence in the field and was killed and my one drake went out behind the fence and got taken by a coyote (mallard that could fly).
Good luck with whatever you decide. All I can say is that it works for some but others it does not. There’s a lot of factors that come into play.:)

Daytime free-ranging is like the others have said - can be hit or miss depending on your area and how bold your predators are. In some places its very rare to see the typical night time predators like foxes, raccoons, badgers, etc Others they have no trouble coming out in broad daylight. Also depends how hungry they are and what your specific yard is like. Would they have to get real close to your house to reach your ducks or could your ducks wander off far enough that a predator wouldnt feel like they were getting too close to people in sneak out and grab one? Are they going to be totally unsupervised or is there someone out in the yard working on other outdoor stuff, making noise, alerting predators that it wouldnt be a good time to show up?

Some birds make more fuss over dangers than others (both my girls made a distinct warning honk when they saw a plane, hawk, or even a squirrel in a nearby tree). It wasnt very loud but it was the only time they ever made that one specific noise so I knew what it meant. If you've got a good watch-bird and you're home with the windows open you might hear a warning before it gets a chance to strike (or you might not, its not fool-proof). I personally dont think I'd let them free-range while I wasnt home, regardless of other factors.

please disregard this post.

@Isaac 0 @casportpony
I found this helpful thread, and with @Isaac 0 ’s information, is the 1ml per bird just a good average? If I over or under dose by some I assume they will absorb or pass excess? If I were giving over treats(mine like peas) should I give 1.5ml as some is sure to get lost in the shuffle? The treats seem much less stressful for both of us.

Last edited:
So I have 57 acres but the only part that is fenced in. The part of our field that is fenced-in is where are cows are. and a little less than half our land is woods and we have had foxes, coyotes, raccoons, hawks etc.
I let them out now for a like ten minutes but that's only when I am right there watching them. I would never let them out while we are gone.
We do have a dog (a lab) and he is okay with our chickens and guineas but I don't know about my ducks.
Thank you all for your help!:bow

Back
Top Bottom