Love it! I think your EE is actually a Salmon Faverolles. :love

Hi there! I don't know, she does have those feathered legs and such so you may be right. She came from the feed store.

I'll take a close up of her today and post it, she's almost acting like a broody mama with the tinies.

Hiya! I'm living the thread.
Fugly seems like he was an awesome fella.

Have you harvested any of the Turkin/Bresse crosses yet? I'm curious how you would compare the meat to either of it's parental breeds.

Hi Trim. Unfortunately we haven't. I didn't have the parent stock so I wouldn't be able to compare to a Bresse either. I'll update on the taste and size of carcass when we do though.

If you're looking for meat birds, I've heard Dorkings are very good eating.

I was sucked into the trap of “so ugly they’re cute” a little over a year and a half ago and it’s true. But since then I’ve realized what hardy birds they are. I have butchered two NN cockerels and they both produced a good carcass, one at 13 weeks and the other at 23 weeks.

I knew I wasn't the only one :highfive:We processed 4 last weekend, all 17 weeks. There were certainly differences in size, but each will provide a decent meal.
I agree, they're very hearty. They pant like all the others do here, but cooling measures seem to help them more than fully feathered birds.

Hi Trim. Unfortunately we haven't. I didn't have the parent stock so I wouldn't be able to compare to a Bresse either. I'll update on the taste and size of carcass when we do though.

If you're looking for meat birds, I've heard Dorkings are very good eating.
I just picked up a Dorking from our local feed store about a week ago. Their nice people, but had no clue what a Dorking was. I know they are not exactly rare, but they are not seen around this area. I had to pull up the livestock conservancy to let them know what they had.

Now I didn't know they made good eats. I just got 1, but looks like I'll have to go get some more. Raising bird for meat is something I've just recently considered.

When you do harvest one of the crosses, I'd love to hear your thought on it.

I just picked up a Dorking from our local feed store about a week ago. Their nice people, but had no clue what a Dorking was. I know they are not exactly rare, but they are not seen around this area. I had to pull up the livestock conservancy to let them know what they had.

Now I didn't know they made good eats. I just got 1, but looks like I'll have to go get some more. Raising bird for meat is something I've just recently considered.

When you do harvest one of the crosses, I'd love to hear your thought on it.

I'll definitely update. We were just getting ready to start raising for meat, it's why I ended up with 12 chicks, but then disaster struck.

We had a poster in the AZ thread that did a lot of breeding with Turken mixes and she said the Dorking was fantastic. I was excited to get my hands on some eggs to hatch, they're mixed with Red Ranger so not pure Dorking.

Have you seen this thread Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

The mixed eggs I have came from his flocks and he does an excellent job of documention. Live weight, carcass weight, etc.

Last edited:
I'll definitely update. We were just getting ready to start raising for meat, it's why I ended up with 12 chicks, but then disaster struck.

We had a poster in the AZ thread that did a lot of breeding with Turken mixes and she said the Dorking was fantastic. I was excited to get my hands on some eggs to hatch, they're mixed with Red Ranger so not pure Dorking.

The mixed eggs I have came from his flocks and he does an excellent job of documentin. Live weight, carcass weight, etc.
I've not seen that thread, I'll go check it out. Thanks.
I called the local feed store and they only have 3 Dorkings left, and don't want to let me reserve them because of their "rarity." Next time they get something rare to the area, I'm keeping my trap shut... :he Of course the 2 people I deal with the most are not there, I might be able to reserve them this afternoon, but I can't get there till tomorrow.

I've not seen that thread, I'll go check it out. Thanks.
I called the local feed store and they only have 3 Dorkings left, and don't want to let me reserve them because of their "rarity." Next time they get something rare to the area, I'm keeping my trap shut... :he Of course the 2 people I deal with the most are not there, I might be able to reserve them this afternoon, but I can't get there till tomorrow.

:barnieThat's so frustrating! I hope you're call down there later is successful. Let us know!

The mixed eggs I have came from his flocks and he does an excellent job of documention. Liv

The Dorking are slow growing, but the Red Ranger's are fast grower's. That is why he crossed them. They should help to add a big long breast crossed into a Naked Neck (plus add some longer leg's).

Back
Top Bottom