Pics
You are correct, I am not a big fan of the looks of guinea fowl. I have them purely for practical purposes. They eat a lotta ticks, the keets and the adults sell well. People expect them to be ugly. My ignorant customers however freak out when they see a naked neck, because they have a different image of a chicken. They don't expect a chicken to look ugly and bald like a low grade government clerk. So they will not buy them.

They don't know what they are missing! Even if I wasn't selling some of mine, I would still keep them for myself.

I wish nothing but good luck to Turken fans. I have heard phenomenal things about them. No doubt their exceptional qualities about their personality and production that deserves to be recognised and preserved. There's a reason why I keep returning to Turken threads. Sometimes I wish someone would develop a line of Turken without the Naked Neck trait, but wouldn't that make them a less remarkable breed?

I can very much relate to Turken fans. Everybody have a favourite breed. My favourite breed is Aseel. They mature slowly and lay poorly and they are not the most beautiful birds around, but I love them for their personality and exceptional mothering abilities, but that's just me.

I wish nothing but good luck to Turken fans. I have heard phenomenal things about them. No doubt their exceptional qualities about their personality and production that deserves to be recognised and preserved. There's a reason why I keep returning to Turken threads. Sometimes I wish someone would develop a line of Turken without the Naked Neck trait, but wouldn't that make them a less remarkable breed?

I can very much relate to Turken fans. Everybody have a favourite breed. My favourite breed is Aseel. They mature slowly and lay poorly and they are not the most beautiful birds around, but I love them for their personality and exceptional mothering abilities, but that's just me.

The Naked Neck's can be cross-bred into any fully feathered necked breed, and half of the chick's from the cross will have the fully feathered neck's. That breeding can add some meat bird size to the bodies of what you already have.

The guy at the Agricultural University offered me eggs of naked neck. The university had imported the birds from Europe. But I backed out after I learnt that the trait is dominant. I don't want half naked chicks running around on my farm. We are a conservative people:gig.
:gig

You are correct, I am not a big fan of the looks of guinea fowl. I have them purely for practical purposes. They eat a lotta ticks, the keets and the adults sell well. People expect them to be ugly. My ignorant customers however freak out when they see a naked neck, because they have a different image of a chicken. They don't expect a chicken to look ugly and bald like a low grade government clerk. So they will not buy them.
:lau
They aren't for everyone but I do love their looks as much as anything else. As @Compost King said, the plucking was so easy!

I have a yard bird in the pot right now for soup and tacos.

On my way to go get 2 NN pullets! She has Black, and brown. Thinking of getting 1 of each color.

:yesss:
Now I want AC eggs doggone it!

I took some cilantro and the ends from tomatoes out to the flock. One of the pullets looked at the stuff and went into the coop unsure. The rooster came out and called excitedly to the girls and started tidbitting them from the dish :love
He's starting to show interest in mating as well. I'm really happy that I changed my mind about which to keep. The blue boy I had was going to be big, but he was mean to the girls and really rough...no courtship, just pounce.

I processed a Naked Neck last night. so much easier to deal with less feathers. I do not know everyone else reason for loving Naked Necks but mine are all practical. Less protein going to feathering, less feathers in the way when making them table birds, and less heat stress in summer. In winter they can turtle their necks on the roosting bar to retain heat. I just happen to like ugly chickens so being funny looking doesn't hurt at all.

All good reasons for having some. As for me, I just kind of like the "look" of them :) Haven't had any yet, but someday...

On my way to go get 2 NN pullets! She has Black, and brown. Thinking of getting 1 of each color.

Trim, I hope you'll share pictures!

I took some cilantro and the ends from tomatoes out to the flock. One of the pullets looked at the stuff and went into the coop unsure. The rooster came out and called excitedly to the girls and started tidbitting them from the dish :love
He's starting to show interest in mating as well. I'm really happy that I changed my mind about which to keep. The blue boy I had was going to be big, but he was mean to the girls and really rough...no courtship, just pounce.

Sounds like you have a good one there with your boy IM!

They aren't for everyone but I do love their looks as much as anything else. As @Compost King said, the plucking was so easy!

I have a yard bird in the pot right now for soup and tacos.

I don't even pluck them, I skin my chickens and skinning is easier if there are less feathers. I bet it really speeds up plucking time though.

Back
Top Bottom