Pics
15 inches long, 3 inches tall will fit in a hovabator. I made it 4 inches wide but you can make any width that suits you.

Originally I made it 16 inches long but it didn't fit after I put the top and had to shrink it 1 inch.

You could probably make it 16 inches long if you only made it 2 inches high but then there isn't much clearance for climbing over eggs after being hatched. Also chicks sometimes get stuck in the squares and hang themselves. Then I covered the 1 inch squares with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and no more problems.

Last edited:
15 inches long, 3 inches tall will fit in a hovabator. I made it 4 inches wide but you can make any width that suits you.

Originally I made it 16 inches long but it didn't fit after I put the top and had to shrink it 1 inch.

You could probably make it 16 inches long if you only made it 2 inches high but then there isn't much clearance for climbing over eggs after being hatched. Also chicks sometimes get stuck in the squares and hang themselves. Then I covered the 1 inch squares with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and no more problems.

Thank you so much! I found the hwc so I'm going to work on it.

Well, the past 30 or so posts have really peaked my attention. I got on BYC just a while ago because of my very eventful afternoon.
Thank you for the well wishes for my girl. She has been my constant companion for such a long time.
She is such a precious pup and I hope she fattens up quickly with nothing major being wrong. :hugs

Minnow traps work great for snakes.
I found a rattlesnake in my newest coop this afternoon and I was about to start a thread asking for suggestions on keeping them away. @Compost King took care of that for me. Thanks, bud. :highfive:

I remember a post where someone used plastic canvas so I'm going to try that.
I actually used canvas this past January to divide my eggs. It worked somewhat. And what I mean by that is, it did a wonderful job keeping the eggs apart. :gig However, once the chicks hatched, they were able to bumble their way over the dividers. I only made the inside dividers (like a tic tac toe outline) so it didn’t have the strength to hold up against the rambunctious chicks on the outer perimeter. The next time I incubate, I will create the outer barrier as well. It will only be needed for strength, but it is needed.

@igorsMistress, I will continue to read the Fugly Farm thread as I never know what I’ll learn. :bow

Well, the past 30 or so posts have really peaked my attention. I got on BYC just a while ago because of my very eventful afternoon.She is such a precious pup and I hope she fattens up quickly with nothing major being wrong. :hugs

I found a rattlesnake in my newest coop this afternoon and I was about to start a thread asking for suggestions on keeping them away. @Compost King took care of that for me. Thanks, bud. :highfive:

I actually used canvas this past January to divide my eggs. It worked somewhat. And what I mean by that is, it did a wonderful job keeping the eggs apart. :gig However, once the chicks hatched, they were able to bumble their way over the dividers. I only made the inside dividers (like a tic tac toe outline) so it didn’t have the strength to hold up against the rambunctious chicks on the outer perimeter. The next time I incubate, I will create the outer barrier as well. It will only be needed for strength, but it is needed.

@igorsMistress, I will continue to read the Fugly Farm thread as I never know what I’ll learn. :bow

Thank you and thank you! I only need 4 compartments and I was considering not doing the outside perimeter. You saved me there!

We have some time to create something still, the eggs aren't here yet.

Thank you and thank you! I only need 4 compartments and I was considering not doing the outside perimeter. You saved me there!

We have some time to create something still, the eggs aren't here yet.
Yes, using the crafting canvas, the chicks were getting into the next compartment via the sides. I had no idea and thought the walls of the bator would serve fabulously as the outer edges. What’s that old saying, “You live and you learn!”? :idunno

Shipped hatching egg info:

1. NN roo over NN/Red Ranger (RR)
2. Dorking/RR roo over NN/RR
3. NN/RR roo over Dorking/RR
4. same roo as 3, both parents are Nn with bowties.

I'm going to figure out how to divide the incubator before lockdown to document which chicks come from which eggs. I remember a post where someone used plastic canvas so I'm going to try that.

Your going to have an interesting mix. Good luck on the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom