Pics
Yes it is! Do you hatch your own eggs? I love the deep brown in your cockerel.
Oh thank you!
For the first time this year, I hatched my own eggs! 5 of them! My lady turken went broody so I let her sit. (I tried letting her before but the eggs actually rotted and had to be tossed.) This time, however, she was a good momma!
The little brown boy is named Marla. He has two brothers named Oswald and Cornelius, and two sisters named Rupert and Durden.
Parents are Disco and Butch. (all named before genders were known)

Parents up front!
20190703_071609.jpg

Last edited:
It has been a few days since the new boys have been introduced. They're learning to come out of the coop in the morning and they're staying with the other chicks during the day now. They all hang out in the deep shade between the big coop and the wrought iron fence. There's a piece of shade cloth there for cover.

The big girls are spending much more time in the big yard since they can do as they please without a man to contend with. It's nice to see them out and about.

We're getting 3 to 5 eggs a day.
They complain about how long the girl in the favored box is taking. When that box was occupied they were using the bin in the mini coop so I took it out. The chicks are roosting on a portable roost with a little ramp in there anyway. They'll be moving to the big coop by the time the next chicks hatch.

I candled the 3 eggs in my incubator, day 3. I can see veins just starting to show in 2 but they all appear to have the little island in the center.

As of today my shipped eggs are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I expect them Tuesday.

Oh thank you!
For the first time this year, I hatched my own eggs! 5 of them! My lady turken went broody so I let her sit. (I tried letting her before but the eggs actually rotted and had to be tossed.) This time, however, she was a good momma!
The little brown boy is named Marla. He has two brothers named Oswald and Cornelius, and two sisters named Rupert and Durden.
Parents are Disco and Butch. (all named before genders were known)

Parents up front!
View attachment 1927653

giggle.gif
I love the names.

That's a handsome boy! Does he have a deep red head with a black body? What color is his tail?

View attachment 1927674 I love the names.

That's a handsome boy! Does he have a deep red head with a black body? What color is his tail?
Naming birds is always fun!

As for Butch- I have a side view. Not the greatest quality photo but you can see his coloring. Deep red head, mostly black body and tail, with vibrant orange/red on his sides.
20191006_223830.jpg

It has been a few days since the new boys have been introduced. They're learning to come out of the coop in the morning and they're staying with the other chicks during the day now. They all hang out in the deep shade between the big coop and the wrought iron fence. There's a piece of shade cloth there for cover.

The big girls are spending much more time in the big yard since they can do as they please without a man to contend with. It's nice to see them out and about.

We're getting 3 to 5 eggs a day.
They complain about how long the girl in the favored box is taking. When that box was occupied they were using the bin in the mini coop so I took it out. The chicks are roosting on a portable roost with a little ramp in there anyway. They'll be moving to the big coop by the time the next chicks hatch.

I candled the 3 eggs in my incubator, day 3. I can see veins just starting to show in 2 but they all appear to have the little island in the center.

As of today my shipped eggs are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I expect them Tuesday.
Congrats on your flock management and incubation / pending eggs! It's always fun and exciting!
If you'd care to share pictures I'd love to see.
Also, I've never candled an egg before. How does it work and when can you actually tell there's a chick forming?

Back
Top Bottom