I was sucked into the trap of “so ugly they’re cute” a little over a year and a half ago and it’s true. But since then I’ve realized what hardy birds they are. I have butchered two NN cockerels and they both produced a good carcass, one at 13 weeks and the other at 23 weeks.
Can I ask a really dumb question...what do they taste like? When you said that they have less feathers, which is good for your climate, I’m guessing it’s warm where you are. I’m inPA. Very cold here..but you said they are a hardy breed...so, could they make it here? And how big would you say they are..undressed weight? We’ve only eaten two birds so far...but...if these were a good meat bird..perhaps?

Can I ask a really dumb question...what do they taste like? When you said that they have less feathers, which is good for your climate, I’m guessing it’s warm where you are. I’m inPA. Very cold here..but you said they are a hardy breed...so, could they make it here? And how big would you say they are..undressed weight? We’ve only eaten two birds so far...but...if these were a good meat bird..perhaps?
Size varies because people breed them with other breeds to make colorful Nn. At least in my experience. They don't grow fast like meat birds so if you're looking to butcher @ 16 to 18ish weeks they'll typically be a lighter carcass. Fine for us, but it depends on what you want.

Back
Top Bottom