Remember a while ago we were talking about unconventional nesting boxes? Look at what I found this morning...it's the picture I mentioned:

Sneaky Broody 1.jpg

:gig

Remember a while ago we were talking about unconventional nesting boxes? Look at what I found this morning...it's the picture I mentioned:
:gig
SIL sent me a similar picture. I think he was putting ideas into my head.

Out of the birds butt, straight to your plate. What could be more appropriate? :D

Flock update: We've had a sad turn of events...had to put down my black hen earlier this week. She wasn't eating and then wouldn't roost. The 2 fully feathered cockerels are a PITA right now. They're fun to watch as they call the ladies for treats. Extremely attentive to anyone showing interest in the nest boxes but the crowing! OMG they're relentless; the tidbitting and vying for the ladies has everyone is up in arms first thing in the morning. I caught the biggest boy in the coop blocking the most docile boy of the group from leaving the roost. Big boy hightailed it out of there when I went in though. The Dorking girl is c r a z y. She makes all kinds of racket and hunts everywhere for a place to lay her eggs before she finally goes into the nest box. She's an evil thing as well, determined to be part of Jrs group but won't squat for him. I found one of the red girls in a nest box the other day, not sure if it's the same one that left a bruise on my arm when she attacked me as I moved her to the mini coop the other night. 3 of those ladies are quite heavy, not the bobtailed one though. She requires maintenance because her feathers get poopy so she's going to freezer camp along with the other lighter weight red girl. Don't want offspring from her with that issue. I'm thrilled with the changes to the big coop! I'm adding a bag each of pine shavings and pellets this weekend and taking out a little bit of the straw. I like the straw for tossing on the blocks to prevent poop buildup but it's not the best on its own for deep litter.

Flock update: We've had a sad turn of events...had to put down my black hen earlier this week. She wasn't eating and then wouldn't roost. The 2 fully feathered cockerels are a PITA right now. They're fun to watch as they call the ladies for treats. Extremely attentive to anyone showing interest in the nest boxes but the crowing! OMG they're relentless; the tidbitting and vying for the ladies has everyone is up in arms first thing in the morning. I caught the biggest boy in the coop blocking the most docile boy of the group from leaving the roost. Big boy hightailed it out of there when I went in though. The Dorking girl is c r a z y. She makes all kinds of racket and hunts everywhere for a place to lay her eggs before she finally goes into the nest box. She's an evil thing as well, determined to be part of Jrs group but won't squat for him. I found one of the red girls in a nest box the other day, not sure if it's the same one that left a bruise on my arm when she attacked me as I moved her to the mini coop the other night. 3 of those ladies are quite heavy, not the bobtailed one though. She requires maintenance because her feathers get poopy so she's going to freezer camp along with the other lighter weight red girl. Don't want offspring from her with that issue. I'm thrilled with the changes to the big coop! I'm adding a bag each of pine shavings and pellets this weekend and taking out a little bit of the straw. I like the straw for tossing on the blocks to prevent poop buildup but it's not the best on its own for deep litter.

I guess that would be hard if you have too many cockerel's running around together. I think that is way some make those rooster pen's to keep them in until butcher? Sorry that you had to put down your black hen. Wasn't she your favorite?

I guess that would be hard if you have too many cockerel's running around together. I think that is way some make those rooster pen's to keep them in until butcher? Sorry that you had to put down your black hen. Wasn't she your favorite?
Thank you BB. Yes she was. Par for the course.
I like to see how the boys behave toward each other and the girls. I've found out that if you take away the dominant roo you find out what the subordinates are really like. I'm curious to see what Rogers boy will be like without those fully feathered guys going berserk though. He's not the lowest boy in the group, second from the bottom.

Jr went to check on Crazy in the coop and the other roo that has been trying to coax her away responded as well. There wasn't a fight, but the subordinate came back out to tge big yard and Jr walked up behind him and pecked him. He ran away screaming like a girl :lau

I got woken up earlier than normal this morning. All the dog's in the neighborhood were going off on barking. I hate having to go outside before even having that first cup of coffee. There were 2 strange goat's in my yard trying to visit with my next door neighbor's 2 goat's. At least it wasn't something that was trying to figure out how to get in there to my flock. One year a few year's ago there was a cow in my backyard, and another year there was an ostridge that ran through the yard.

I got woken up earlier than normal this morning. All the dog's in the neighborhood were going off on barking. I hate having to go outside before even having that first cup of coffee. There were 2 strange goat's in my yard trying to visit with my next door neighbor's 2 goat's. At least it wasn't something that was trying to figure out how to get in there to my flock. One year a few year's ago there was a cow in my backyard, and another year there was an ostridge that ran through the yard.
:gigkeeps things interesting anyway. The least they could do is wait until after coffee!

Back
Top Bottom