@N F C This one's for you! I don't have any cat's, but one of my friend's emailed me a picture this morning that look's like 2 kitties were taking advantage of a warm place under a broody hen. Too, cute!

View attachment 2030467

I love that picture! Lucky little kittens to find a warm mom to take care of them.

We had a close call today. We were headed out for the evening walk when Igor heard a commotion in the yard. He looked out the window and saw a red streak go zipping by followed closely by a brown blur. Layla went out to the yard and the bobtailed girl had managed to get over the fence. Thankfully the bird is fine, just missing a handful of feathers but no bare spots or injuries. I'm not sure the dog would know what to do with a chicken if she caught it for real. I couldn't catch the bird afterward but did check her over at roost time. The whole flock was up in arms afterward and stayed under cover as far from the fence as they could get without going into the coop.

Glad she's ok IM!

Happy birthday Frankie!
smiley cake.gif

Not great. I put the foil on after the skin browned as you suggested, but the seasoning had no taste. I poured a ton of that stuff on that bird and nothing. I'm going to use the rest in a pot pie some day. And brine next time!
Did you lift the skin and shove the spices along the meat under the skin? I'll do this with fresh basil and jalapenos for a rotisserie and the spices permeate better. Downside/upside it that you get a mouth full of spices when you eat the skin. Good for fresh basil and jalapenos, not so good with dried out, store bought Italian seasoning dust.

Add spices, like black pepper and rosemary, when you are boiling the brine water. Makes the house smell great! The chicken too! I use a handful of rosemary sprigs. Crazy Lady thinks it overpowers the meat and then complains when the meat isn't overpowered. I just can't win.

Did you lift the skin and shove the spices along the meat under the skin? I'll do this with fresh basil and jalapenos for a rotisserie and the spices permeate better. Downside/upside it that you get a mouth full of spices when you eat the skin. Good for fresh basil and jalapenos, not so good with dried out, store bought Italian seasoning dust.

Add spices, like black pepper and rosemary, when you are boiling the brine water. Makes the house smell great! The chicken too! I use a handful of rosemary sprigs. Crazy Lady thinks it overpowers the meat and then complains when the meat isn't overpowered. I just can't win.

I like how you do the spices, that sounds good!

I usually do get it under the skin and then rub more on the skin. I didn't brine this one, just the herb mix and coconut oil. Usually my brined birds come out quite well. I used this same herb mix on one I brined and that one had more flavor from the brine than the herbs. Maybe it's old or something, I'm going to try fresh next time rather than dried.

Back
Top Bottom