Two plum trees and two apricot trees came home with me today. I also got some lemongrass. The trees are going to be planted around the outside of the sun garden. All are dwarf varieties so should remain manageable like the apple tree and still provide enough sun for that space most of the year. I ordered two mulberry plants. I’ve read that they take well to pruning to keep them as a bush. I have no idea where those are going yet, plus I have two banana trees coming at some point. Provided I can keep it all alive, we won’t starve that’s for sure!

Two plum trees and two apricot trees came home with me today. I also got some lemongrass. The trees are going to be planted around the outside of the sun garden. All are dwarf varieties so should remain manageable like the apple tree and still provide enough sun for that space most of the year. I ordered two mulberry plants. I’ve read that they take well to pruning to keep them as a bush. I have no idea where those are going yet, plus I have two banana trees coming at some point. Provided I can keep it all alive, we won’t starve that’s for sure!

You'll be swimming in fruit by the time they're all bearing (that's a good thing)!

You'll be swimming in fruit by the time they're all bearing (that's a good thing)!
I think it’s a good thing too. It’s time to think seriously about being more self sufficient. I looked at the price of bread and eggs when I was at the store the other and almost fainted. Bread that used to be $2 is now $4 and eggs are ridiculous, fortunately I don’t need either.I’m going to try waterglassing our eggs when we start getting them from our flock.

I think it’s a good thing too. It’s time to think seriously about being more self sufficient. I looked at the price of bread and eggs when I was at the store the other and almost fainted. Bread that used to be $2 is now $4 and eggs are ridiculous, fortunately I don’t need either.I’m going to try waterglassing our eggs when we start getting them from our flock.

@drstratton has a thread about waterglassing...others that have posted in it say they've had good results. I've never tried it myself but if you want to check her thread out, here's a link: water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588

@drstratton has a thread about waterglassing...others that have posted in it say they've had good results. I've never tried it myself but if you want to check her thread out, here's a link: water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588

Yes’m I’ve checked it out some, thank you! From what I’ve read they can last quite some time that way.
Hello Ladies!
I still have a jar full, from the original batch. I brought them upstairs a few days ago, but haven't cracked any open. Everything smells fine, but I'm a little nervous.
I'm with you IM, we definitely need to be self sufficient. I'm afraid it's going to get worse. I wish we had some farmland. Our property is little uneven, with work we could possibly get some kind of crops in, if the need arises. Feed is getting so expensive too. We're going to be picking up a ton of scratch in bulk next week. Should save us about $400 in comparison to the 50lb bags we buy.

Hello Ladies!
I still have a jar full, from the original batch. I brought them upstairs a few days ago, but haven't cracked any open. Everything smells fine, but I'm a little nervous.
I'm with you IM, we definitely need to be self sufficient. I'm afraid it's going to get worse. I wish we had some farmland. Our property is little uneven, with work we could possibly get some kind of crops in, if the need arises. Feed is getting so expensive too. We're going to be picking up a ton of scratch in bulk next week. Should save us about $400 in comparison to the 50lb bags we buy.
Hello there! I understand being nervous about trying out the eggs, I will be too lol. I don’t think mine is I’ll stay in the preservation stage for very long, maybe 6 to 8! months max,

I was reading through your thread about it yesterday and one person gave an informative response about their experience that made me feel better lol.most others that have tried it haven’t used the eggs yet.

Hello there! I understand being nervous about trying out the eggs, I will be too lol. I don’t think mine is I’ll stay in the preservation stage for very long, maybe 6 to 8! months max,

I was reading through your thread about it yesterday and one person gave an informative response about their experience that made me feel better lol.most others that have tried it haven’t used the eggs yet.
I ate several early on, hubs wouldn't touch them...😂
I thought they were fine, though they do lose structure. I will check some when I get back home and share the results.

Since the topic is on eggs,,, wanted to share this story,, that I heard from a long time ago.
In the Army,, they served eggs for breakfast. Since the volume needed was large,, the eggs were powdered form. They were cooked up scrambled, (regardless, if fresh were available at time, or powdered)
Some of the GI Joes would comment,,," Hey Sarge,,, are these fresh or powdered??" Of course Sarge was a crafty one,, :thumbsup so every once in a while,, Sarge would take a few fresh eggs,, and add to the mix,, SHELLS AND ALL CRUSHED.
The comments would be,, ""Oh yeahhhhhhh, Sarge,, THESE ARE FRESH.""

Moral to the story,,, Whatever form the eggs are,, they are still NUTRITION:old

Back
Top Bottom