IM, here's an updated pic of little Igor. I think he is going to be quite hand
He is pretty diverse. He has a little brahma fuzz on his legs and feet. He also seems to have a little easter egger muff, along with his naked neck boa. I'll bet he'll be a ladies man.
They’re ALL adorable Janie, thanks for sharing!

Todays work is done. All the bunny stuff is out of the yard and ready to go. There’s fresh pine shavings in the coop, the shade for the feeding area is up, and the chairs have been strategically placed for munching on tree leaves. I don’t know what it is about willow acacia, but all my chickens have enjoyed the leaves over the years. Currently making up the new waterers and a new pool for their afternoon ice block. Going to try cutting two doors in it instead of trimming the sides and top completely off. The shade is an old frame for a cover over a patio swing. Hubs screwed it together, then we wired lattice to it and covered with shade cloth. It used to be a lean to but I wanted it to provide a larger area underneath for shade.
ETA that I’ve ordered 90% shade cloth for the top and the one side that’s open to the afternoon sun.
7771BF5C-59A0-4BAB-9CCE-383100780FA8.jpeg
5A9695D3-4E66-442A-B489-2404E620C7CB.jpeg
52D2E28D-4FE9-4417-9895-3F71130774B7.jpeg
5F9C6268-AF73-4AF6-BE73-7DC7D0225061.jpeg

ETA the waterers are done and in place
7ACC4081-E554-422B-AF46-2769EBBF7B39.jpeg
22FC7200-8318-4DD7-9CEA-3FD79933694F.jpeg

The pool for the block ice in the afternoon
5FD9C815-3FA9-43B4-9418-B448F79A8404.jpeg

Last edited:
Todays work is done. All the bunny stuff is out of the yard and ready to go. There’s fresh pine shavings in the coop, the shade for the feeding area is up, and the chairs have been strategically placed for munching on tree leaves. I don’t know what it is about willow acacia, but all my chickens have enjoyed the leaves over the years. Currently making up the new waterers and a new pool for their afternoon ice block. Going to try cutting two doors in it instead of trimming the sides and top completely off. The shade is an old frame for a cover over a patio swing. Hubs screwed it together no then we wired lattice to it and covered with shade cloth. It used to a lean to but I wanted it to provide a larger area underneath for shade.
View attachment 3144424View attachment 3144425View attachment 3144426View attachment 3144427
That's a lovely setup! Your birds will be very happy.

Nest boxes, made from large wooden crates and some long paint stir sticks. This will allow plenty of air flow in summer for sure. I might stain the insides with black stain to make them seem more inviting. My last group of girls seemed to like the dark boxes more.
216907D6-5863-44C1-ADBB-3384AF8A7BE5.jpeg

First day with the new shade and waterers. Mother Nature has sent us some strong outflow winds from storms to the Northwest this afternoon. Like hard enough the rooster was almost blown over and there’s stuff all over my yard. Serves him right, he tried to attack today and had to be put in his place. I hadn’t considered how I was going to clean the water cups without dumping all the water out of the buckets. I used my baster :gig Held the cup so it wouldn’t refill, sucked out the water and swiped it out with a paper towel before I let it refill. The water had a chance to cool from the ice I added so win/win. Surprisingly, the shade we made isn’t moving a bit! I ordered two custom shade cloths for it today, 90%. I think the area gets a bit too much sun and I want to protect the plastic as much as possible. The feeder hasn’t been blown off the block either.

Another project will be some shade cloths for the front of the small coop. I’m going to put the nest boxes in there and cover the front with more 90% shade. The whole flock likes to hang out in there until the hottest part of the day when they come out for ice a puddle to stand in.

The bunnies and all their things are gone. My son and DIL left here with their truck bed full of goodies and I’ve agreed to sponsor the buns through the kids rescue. Now we have space to give the boys their own room so to speak. I think they’ll be much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom