Hey there! Did you end up buying the white parts of this feeder from that site or did you make your own by purchasing the pvc at the hardware store? Was debating myself which way to go.
Like your setup. Do you provide a place for the chickens to get out of the rain (on those very rare times when we get rain)? I was thinking I could cover just the roost and nest areas with corrugated plastic roofing -- I was going to make the roost and nest areas with pallets within the run. Is that sufficient or do they need more space covered?

Hey there! Did you end up buying the white parts of this feeder from that site or did you make your own by purchasing the pvc at the hardware store? Was debating myself which way to go.
Like your setup. Do you provide a place for the chickens to get out of the rain (on those very rare times when we get rain)? I was thinking I could cover just the roost and nest areas with corrugated plastic roofing -- I was going to make the roost and nest areas with pallets within the run. Is that sufficient or do they need more space covered?
Good morning! I bought the feeder ports. Considering the time to go to the store, buy the parts and then try to make it, it was easier and less hassle to just do that. We both work full time and I do want some down time also lol.

Right now avian influenza is a concern around the country and people will tell you to build Fort Knox for your flock to keep them safe. Without a solid roof over your entire run there’s a risk that some random bird poop could end up in the run and possibly make your flock sick. I don’t have a run at all, but it may not be the choice for everyone. We have the mini coop where I’m putting the nest boxes and the coop and those are large enough for my flock to hang out in when it rains. If you’re not going to make the whole roof solid you might want to add a wire or net top to the rest to keep wild birds out. If you have raccoons, consider making the run more secure. Think about how you would keep a very angry toddler with sharp teeth out lol.

I hope you start a build page, I’d love to follow along as you go and others like that stuff too.

Good morning! I bought the feeder ports. Considering the time to go to the store, buy the parts and then try to make it, it was easier and less hassle to just do that. We both work full time and I do want some down time also lol.

Right now avian influenza is a concern around the country and people will tell you to build Fort Knox for your flock to keep them safe. Without a solid roof over your entire run there’s a risk that some random bird poop could end up in the run and possibly make your flock sick. I don’t have a run at all, but it may not be the choice for everyone. We have the mini coop where I’m putting the nest boxes and the coop and those are large enough for my flock to hang out in when it rains. If you’re not going to make the whole roof solid you might want to add a wire or net top to the rest to keep wild birds out. If you have raccoons, consider making the run more secure. Think about how you would keep a very angry toddler with sharp teeth out lol.

I hope you start a build page, I’d love to follow along as you go and others like that stuff too.
I can understand the ease of buying ready-made! We were at Lowe's yesterday getting parts to run water to both the coming chicken run and some raised garden beds. I thought about getting the feeder parts, but DH said we already have that at home - yay! (We have a kitch/bath remodel business, so extra parts and cast-offs come with that)

That's an idea to start a build page. That may help me get some other ideas & suggestions along the way!

I can understand the ease of buying ready-made! We were at Lowe's yesterday getting parts to run water to both the coming chicken run and some raised garden beds. I thought about getting the feeder parts, but DH said we already have that at home - yay! (We have a kitch/bath remodel business, so extra parts and cast-offs come with that)

That's an idea to start a build page. That may help me get some other ideas & suggestions along the way!
Well that’s convenient and I’m sure he knows how to create what you need then.

It really does help you get ideas from lots of folks if you want some inspiration for your coop. I’ve seen a lot of cute stuff out there. Not a lot of it is practical for us here, but some people go all out!

I’m feeling guilty. I didn’t give the crew anything this morning and am playing hard ball over the new feeder. I hope they overcome their fear and figure it out. They seem reluctant to stick their heads into the tubes. I’m still giving them some wet mash at night to be sure they’re getting fed and for the extra hydration.

I’m feeling guilty. I didn’t give the crew anything this morning and am playing hard ball over the new feeder. I hope they overcome their fear and figure it out. They seem reluctant to stick their heads into the tubes. I’m still giving them some wet mash at night to be sure they’re getting fed and for the extra hydration.
I thought I saw someone showing that they put some of the feed on the front edge of the white opening to get them enticed and finally figure it out.

I was checking the new feeder while I filled the water bucket this morning and it looks like the chickens may be getting the idea. I can see a couple of areas where the feed is starting to settle like a sinkhole.

My rooster is a jerk so I left the crew in the coop while I did the water and he was growling at me :lau

I was checking the new feeder while I filled the water bucket this morning and it looks like the chickens may be getting the idea. I can see a couple of areas where the feed is starting to settle like a sinkhole.

My rooster is a jerk so I left the crew in the coop while I did the water and he was growling at me :lau
Do you plan to replace him with a "not jerk"?

Back
Top Bottom