Water project update. We’re measuring for and pricing rain gutters, planning for platforms and spigots on some trash cans to gravity feed the water through a hose. Instead of dumping water from the dog bowls down the drain we’re pouring into buckets. In two days I save enough to water a couple of small plants in my front yard and the rest of the week I save enough to water a large shrub. Just from the water bowls. I’ve decided to try soap nuts for some of my washing so we can collect that water as well and figure I’ll get enough to water another shrub once a week from that.

Solar cooking project update. I have a platform built on my back patio from blocks leftover from another project, it’ll keep the cookers off the ground and away from the animals. Today I’ll get the new cooker put together and give it a test run tomorrow. I’ve used a box oven before, it works more like a slow cooker, but I’m hoping this really will be more like stove top cooking. We shall see.

Water project update. We’re measuring for and pricing rain gutters, planning for platforms and spigots on some trash cans to gravity feed the water through a hose. Instead of dumping water from the dog bowls down the drain we’re pouring into buckets. In two days I save enough to water a couple of small plants in my front yard and the rest of the week I save enough to water a large shrub. Just from the water bowls. I’ve decided to try soap nuts for some of my washing so we can collect that water as well and figure I’ll get enough to water another shrub once a week from that.

Solar cooking project update. I have a platform built on my back patio from blocks leftover from another project, it’ll keep the cookers off the ground and away from the animals. Today I’ll get the new cooker put together and give it a test run tomorrow. I’ve used a box oven before, it works more like a slow cooker, but I’m hoping this really will be more like stove top cooking. We shall see.
I've wondered about the soapberry nuts. I found a link, suggesting we could grow the western soapberry here, if our soil drains well enough:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/soapberry/soapberry-tree-growing.htm

What do you think? I'm tempted to try it.

Garden update. This morning I cleaned out the shade garden and moved a grow bag with EWO to a new spot as the hibiscus isn’t happy with all the water. The herbs are a few years old and struggling so those are next. I moved my small lilac to a pot and put it in there as it has been struggling in full sun. I found it was infested with ants below the surface so I put out baits, but I’m going to have to move the compost pile, it’s definitely too close to the garden. Ordered a ring style soaker for the trees and shrubs so I can use the soakers I have in the gardens rather than shrubs. The shade garden will get a rest until next year.

The fruit trees are doing better, I think I was over watering. The lemon tree has so many lemons on it that its limbs are touching the ground, that’ll get a trim as soon as the lemons are picked. The Vitex are both blooming, the Arabian Lilacs are doing very well and the olive tree is happy. Lemongrass is starting to get thicker blades but I have to keep the wee fur baby away from it or she eats it. The sugarcane are growing like weeds and the grass in the dogs yard has almost completely filled in.

Flock update. The rooster crows too much so he may have to go. He’s mean to humans and a jerk to the girls. I’m wondering if a couple more pullets might help with the mean part, I may talk to my son about taking a couple of his recent hatchlings. My girls have bigger combs that are starting to darken so I’ll be setting up the nest boxes and putting out the oyster shell this weekend. We’re excited for fresh eggs, store bought doesn’t cut it.
I'm a bit jealous. I tried a few times to grow lemons and failed.

How about a pot/plate pit filled with sand?

Another thought is growing Aloe Vera. I used the inside of the leaves as a shaving cream amoung other things.

How about a pot/plate pit filled with sand?
Can you explain? I’m not sure I understand the concept.
Another thought is growing Aloe Vera. I used the inside of the leaves as a shaving cream amoung other things.
I have aloe, 3 of them plus a bunch of pups. We use it for shaving, sunburn of course, and dry, itchy skin. I’ve read that soap nuts are ok for washing the dog, dishes, laundry, etc. I’m going to start with hand soap and dish water and maybe expand from there. Sadly I’ve tried natural options in our laundry before but hubs sweats too much in summer and his clothes get pretty nasty. He’s in close proximity to people on a regular basis so not smelling bad is important lol.

The rooster has sealed his fate. I was picking up
the hose to rinse the water bucket and fill it yesterday afternoon and he came after me. If I hadn’t had the bucket in my hand to whack him with he would have got me in the face. Rotten :rant

So I locked the crew in the coop while I set up the nest boxes, I hope they’re big enough. I put them on some pavers so they’ll stay dry. Next thing will be more pine pellets on the floor to keep the dust down. There are a couple of fake eggs in them, but I need a couple more. Those and the pine pellets are on order for curbside at TSC, hubs can stop by on his way home from work tomorrow.

I refilled the feeder, it was down to about 1/3 full, and got out the oyster shell. Hubs is going to put in an old gravity feeder for that. Still no word on the shades for the feeding station, I wish those would get here already!

Talked to my son and DIL about taking their Nn cockerel and a couple of Nn pullets from their Spring chicks. That’ll put us back to 6 hens and a roo which is just about perfect for us. Enough eggs, but not too many. This is the roo
8FF0504B-852C-4BA1-B011-3D1F7E6A20A8.jpeg

Last edited:
The rooster has sealed his fate. I was picking up
the hose to rinse the water bucket and fill it yesterday afternoon and he came after me. If I hadn’t had the bucket in my hand to whack him with he would have got me in the face. Rotten :rant

So I locked the crew in the coop while I set up the nest boxes, I hope they’re big enough. I put them on some pavers so they’ll stay dry. Next thing will be more pine pellets on the floor to keep the dust down. There are a couple of fake eggs in them, but I need a couple more. Those and the pine pellets are on order for curbside at TSC, hubs can stop by on his way home from work tomorrow.

I refilled the feeder, it was down to about 1/3 full, and got out the oyster shell. Hubs is going to put in an old gravity feeder for that. Still no word on the shades for the feeding station, I wish those would get here already!

Talked to my son and DIL about taking their Nn cockerel and a couple of Nn pullets from their Spring chicks. That’ll put us back to 6 hens and a roo which is just about perfect for us. Enough eggs, but not too many. This is the roo
View attachment 3163995
I'm sorry about the rooster problem, but I like the looks of the new boy. I hope he has a much better temperament.
If not, you can make a trip to Texas and pick up Igor.🤣 I know he will be a great rooster someday. His dad and grandfather both have excellent personalities. His easter egger genes are giving him an -old -man -with- whiskers vibe, that I really love. 🎅 I wish he had more heavily feathered shanks.
20220621_114835.jpg

20220623_142836.jpg

I'm sorry about the rooster problem, but I like the looks of the new boy. I hope he has a much better temperament.
If not, you can make a trip to Texas and pick up Igor.🤣 I know he will be a great rooster someday. His dad and grandfather both have excellent personalities. His easter egger genes are giving him an -old -man -with- whiskers vibe, that I really love. 🎅 I wish he had more heavily feathered shanks.
View attachment 3164027
View attachment 3164034
That’s going to be a pretty bird when it grows up! Is that the only Nn in your latest hatch?

Back
Top Bottom