Yes I would agree, rain makes everything much happier than hose water. Probably because rain water has less chemicals; in theory anyway.

We have clay, some sand over clay. Either way, under most of it is a layer of caliche, basically cement but it’s made from calcium I think. It’s almost impossible to break through if it’s a thick layer. I don’t till my soil, it’s actually not good for the soil structure, but instead have been improving it with organic materials.

At this point we’re going to make SIP beds for the veg garden. Basically raised beds that have a water reservoir underneath and the soil sips the water as needed. They are good for my environment as they don’t let water evaporate as much as watering from above does.
I had to look that up, but it seems like it would be really useful here. I think I'll try this when I do my flower beds next year. 🤔

I've had the watering debate a few times now. It wasn't uncommon when I was in Catalonia and to a lesser extent here at the allotments to find people watering with a hosepipe in full sunlight.
I've tried pointing out that a look at the skies when it rains, and when it doesn't gives a clue about when to water, pointing out to some of the less bright that in general, when it rains, the clouds block the sunlight. Nature has this watering business quite well worked out.:)
It would do me no good to try to water anything in full sunlight here. If the sun is shining, the wind is blowing... so I would end up watering my neighbor's lawn instead of my own. We have to water at night. :)

Hope is almost double digits, 9 today!
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg
IMG_0451.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0423.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom